Friday, 25 November 2011

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles


Chain Reaction
by Simone Elkeles


Summary: Luis Fuentes has always been sheltered from the gang violence that nearly destroyed his brothers’ lives. But that didn’t stop him from taking risks—whether he’s scaling a mountain in the Rockies or dreaming of a future as an astronaut, Luis can’t stop looking for the next thrill.

Nikki Cruz lives her life by three rules—boys lie to get their way, don’t trust a boy who says “I love you,” and never date a boy from the south side of Fairfield. Her parents may be from Mexico, but as a doctor’s daughter, she has more in common with her north-side neighbors than the Latino Blood at her school. Then she meets Luis at Alex’s wedding, and suddenly, she’s tempted to break all her rules.

Getting Nikki to take a chance on a southsider is Luis’s biggest challenge, until he finds himself targeted by Chuy Soto, the new head of the Latino Blood. When Chuy reveals a disturbing secret about Luis’s family, the youngest Fuentes finds himself questioning everything he’s ever believed to be true. Will his feelings for Nikki be enough to stop Luis from entering a dark and violent world and permanently living on the edge?
I'm not quite sure how to review this book. I loved the first two books, Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction, and I did really enjoy Chain Reaction too but...it's hard to explain.

It did have a bunch of the elements that I loved from the first two books, but of all the narrators we've had in the books so far, these ones were my least favourite and there were parts of the book that it just felt like...the novelty of it had worn off.

I did like Luis and Nikki, but not nearly as much as Brittany, Kiara, Alex and Carlos. Nikki was just so annoyingly bitter and cynical and I could be sympathetic to an extent but other times I just wanted her to be real so I could smack her upside the head with the book and Luis was lovely...sort of...kind of...most of the time. But he annoyed me sometimes too, although it was way less than Nikki did.

I was rooting for them to get together because I'm a sucker for books like that and of course, I knew they would end up together because these books are delightfully predictable in that way (it's the same formula for each one). But their relationship felt less natural than Alex/Brittany and Carlos/Kiara and while we're told about the great chemistry they have, I didn't really feel it when I was reading like I did with the previous couples and their love for each other...I dunno, it felt less natural than the others too - I accepted it and kind of believed it but I just wasn't feeling it.

The gang element of this book was probably my least favourite. It may just be the lack of novelty thing but I found it more annoying than anything else.

This review is turning out way more negative than it should be...that's the annoying thing about reviewing a book that is a part of a series/a companion novel to books you loved, it's so hard to judge it on its own without comparisons.

Basically, I did really like the book. I read it cover to cover, pulling an all nighter and ignoring my aching head and eyes to do so. It kept me entertained from start to finish and I absolutely loved that it showed the sibling relationship with Carlos, Alex and Luis and that we got to see the more of the Brittany/Alex and Carlos/Kiara relationships through the eyes of the new narrators, that was probably my favourite part of the whole book.

I love that I know what to expect with these books. Sometimes I like for books to surprise me but sometimes I want to go into a book and know what I'm going to get out of it - I was reading a different book, one I knew was going to be painful to read, so I put it down and read this instead to kind of prepare myself for it. I needed to read a book like this instead of a heavier read right now.

So yeah, if you haven't read Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction yet, then go read them then read this one. If you like the others, you'll probably like this one - it was just my least favourite of the series.

Later.

p.s. as I mentioned, I stayed up all night and have a terrible headache right now, so I'mma blame the fail that is this review on that, K?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm not sure if I should read this. I loved Perfect Chemistry then really enjoyed Rules of Attraction but didn't love it and it sounds like I'll enjoy Chain Reaction even less and I want to read a book that I'll LOVE :/.

    Thanks for your review you have given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this was my least fav as well. Just couldn't compare. But I loved seeing all the brothers together. It was sorta like a Fuentes family reunion lol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.