Thursday, 10 November 2011

Discussion: Re-reading books.

I used to reread books all the time and I had certain ones that I'd reread at least once a year but these past few years, I've not been able to do rereads because I can't really justify rereading books when I have so many books that I haven't even read once in my To Be Read pile/mountain.

There are some books that when you reread them, the feeling that you get is just like the first time you read the book and re-experiencing that magic is awesome, for other books the reread lets you appreciate it in a whole new way and you notice things that you didn't the first time...sometimes a reread can turn a book you liked into a book that you love. Sometimes if you reread a book enough, each time you read it, it feels kind of like revisiting those characters is visiting old friends - characters who have become so real to you, that you know so well, and that's a great feeling.

But anyway, questions:

1. Re-reading, yay or nay? Do you re-read books?
2. Which books have you read more than once? Which book have you reread the most?
3. Are there any books that you want to reread but haven't gotten around to yet?
4. Thoughts on any of the books I want to reread (which I am going to list below)?

I used to reread the Harry Potter books a lot, particularly the fourth one - not sure why that one is the one I reread most really...I guess I just liked that one best at the time (the books beyond that weren't out yet in the years where I could still freely reread books all I want or I'd have probably reread Deathly Hallows, Half Blood Prince and Order of the Phoenix more too). And I used to reread a few Point Horror books a lot too -- they were just fun, not exactly literary masterpieces but they were good to reread (ones like The Lifeguard, The Babysitter, one of the Nightmare Hall books etc.) and I reread a few of the Blair Witch Files books by Cade Merrill (The Witches Daughter was my favourite).

Books I want to reread:

Jellicoe Road, Saving Francesca, The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

She is one of my favourite authors and Jellicoe Road has been at the top of my want-to-reread list for ages but I want to reread the other two as well because The Piper's Son is a companion to Saving Francesca but a few years had passed between the time I read SF and when I read TPS, so I want to read them both one right after the other.

Looking for Alaska by John Green

This is a book that I have reread before but I haven't had a chance to do so again in ages. John is another of my favourite authors and this was the first book of his that I ever read (because it was the only book he had written at the time I read it) and it's awesome.

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

I've wanted to reread this one since I read it the first time, it's amazing. The writing is beautiful and the story and just...I want to see if it has the same impact the second time through.

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Broken Soup by Jenny Valentine
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

These three are amazing books but they hurt to read, they're so sad but they hurt in that way that makes you feel alive and makes the story feel alive because it just...it makes you feel.

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley

It was an e-book of this one that I read and I hate e-books, I loved the book though - I want to reread a physical copy of it.

More books I want to reread:

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Later.

11 comments:

  1. 1. Re-reading, yay or nay? Do you re-read books?

    Definite YAY! There are just some books that I love that I will always re-read to grab back that feeling I had the very first time I read it. But, I do have a lot of books I want to read, so I don't re-read all the time. If I have a lot of reviews scheduled and no approaching deadlines, I will step back and re-read. Right now I'm re-reading FORGIVE MY FINS by Tera Lynn Childs because I haven't read FINS ARE FOREVER yet and I want to refresh my memory. But I do read the Harry Potters and the Twilights over and over too. It's comfortable. :)

    2. Which books have you read more than once? Which book have you reread the most?

    Oops! I guess I kind of already hinted at that. I have read all of the HPs more than once and I have probably read them the most. Same with the Twilight books. I have also read Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' books over and over as well as my Anne Rice books. Also, the Lord of the Rings. There are quite a lot I have re-read.

    3. Are there any books that you want to reread but haven't gotten around to yet?

    Yup! I want to re-read PARANORMALCY because I haven't read SUPERNATURALLY yet. I may also re-read the book before LOST IN TIME so I can get to that one.

    4. Thoughts on any of the books I want to reread (which I am going to list below)?

    I'm actually unfamiliar with a few of the books you want to re-read and others I haven't even read once yet. I still need to read (for the first time) FORBIDDEN and ANNA. I have read STOLEN, but I don't know if I'd re-read that one. I will probably re-read NEVERMORE when the second book is closer to coming out.

    Thanks for the great discussion - I hope you get a great response!

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally enjoy rereading books, but the books that I reread have to be ones that I really liked the first time around. If they were only mediocre, I get bored. I do think that rereading books gives me a chance to notice things that escaped me the first time around!

    Some of the books on my reread list:
    Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
    Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
    Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
    Harry Potter series

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't re-read a lot of books, though I always have the intention of going back and doing so. I think the only ones I have re-read, at least recently, are Twilight and City of Bones ... one of these days I'll actually make it through my TBR pile and start re-reading books, I just know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a big re-reader, but now there are so many books to read, I typically only re-read if I'm either:

    1. Flat broke

    2. Craving something more satisfying than the books I've read recently.

    3. Waiting not-so-patiently for the sequel

    Examples of books I've re-read recently:
    All the HP novels
    Hunger Games (x4) and Catching Fire
    Daughter of Smoke and Bone
    The Ladies' Paradise (Zola) (x3)
    currently re-reading Clockwork Angel while waiting for Clockwork Prince

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel guilty re-reading books because I have so many unread books on my shelf. I recently got into audiobooks, though, and think that they are a nice way to re-read books at times when I wouldn't be able to sit down and read anyway.

    I've re-read the Twilight series the most, but that was before I knew about other good YA books. I'd like to re-read Unearthly and Anna and the French Kiss soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to re-read ALL the time. But my TBR pile gigantic and I haven't been able to re-read in a long while.

    I can't even remember the last time I re-read a book.

    I would say the my faves to re-read would include:
    -The Kadin by Bertrice Small (this is an ADULT content book)
    -White Oleander by Janet Fitch
    -the Harry Potter Series

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good discussion. I do not usually re-read books. I would say I have only re-read maybe a handful, if that, books over the whole time I have been reading (about 30yr)....one of the reasons is because I already know what the story is about, what is going to happen next, etc...and the other is exactly what you stated...there are just too many other books to read. I am the same way with movies. At least suspense, action, etc. because I already know what is going to happen. Unless someone else is watching it i will not put it on myself....

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay, I admit it... I've reread the Twilight series. :) Also quite a few of Frank Peretti's books and Rebecca Zanetti's FATED. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I reread books all the time. Audio books that is. I just can't sleep without one playing, and I tend to reread the same ones a lot. I like to reread other books I've read too. I almost always do this when a sequel comes out.

    2. "Which book have I reread the most?" is a very hard question. It's probably a tie between Coraline by Neil Gaimen and Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, and Feed by M.T. Anderson.

    Some other favorite bedtime listens are: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard, The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, L.T.'s Theory of Pets by Stephen King, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, I Am America (and So Can You) by Stephen Colbert, Memories of Summer by Ruth White, and Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit to name a few.

    Some of the books I want/need to reread. Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien, Plague by Jean Ure, A Fast and Brutal Wing by Kathleen Johnson, Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan, and Pirates! by Celia Rees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Re-reading, yay or nay? Do you re-read books?
    I rarely reread books. So if I reread a book, you'll know it's one of my favorites :)

    2. Which books have you read more than once? Which book have you reread the most?
    I've definitely reread Half-Blood Prince more than any other, I'm pretty sure! I've read most of the Potter books more than once. I've reread the first two Hunger Games books and Anna and the French Kiss. :)

    3. Are there any books that you want to reread but haven't gotten around to yet?
    The entire Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon... I'll get around to it before the next book comes out. :P Oh and Mockingjay.

    4. Thoughts on any of the books I want to reread (which I am going to list below)?
    ANNA is just as good the second time around! Also, I LOVED Stolen. Now I kind of want to reread it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never re-read a book and I will never do that because we have to many books to read and not enough time.

    The only method that helped me read a book faster is to have it on my iPhone. This way I can read on my way to work, or when I'm on a road trip.

    At first it was hard to find good e books but after I found all you can books everything was easier. There I can find any book I want or I hear of and download it on my iPhone:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.