Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott


Something, Maybe
by Elizabeth Scott


Summary: Everyone thinks their parents are embarrassing, but Hannah knows she's got them all beat. Her dad made a fortune showcasing photos of pretty girls and his party lifestyle all over the Internet, and her mom was once one of her dad's girlfriends and is now the star of her own website. After getting the wrong kind of attention for way too long, Hannah has mastered the art of staying under the radar...and that's just how she likes it.

Of course, that doesn't help her get noticed by her crush. Hannah's sure that gorgeous, sensitive Josh is her soul mate. But trying to get him to notice her; wondering why she suddenly can't stop thinking about another guy, Finn; and dealing with her parents make Hannah feel like she's going crazy. Yet she's determined to make things work out the way she wants—only what she wants may not be what she needs...

After a month of being in a total reading slump and weeks of being unable to finish reading books, I finally finished one. I read this book cover to cover (which, I assure you, was not easy because I’m ill right now and had a mega headache and my eyes kept going all blurry and out of focus).

I loved the book. And part of that may be down to elation over finally finishing a book after what feels like ages, but most of it was just down to the fact that Elizabeth Scott is a brilliant author. Seriously, I need to read all of her books.

This one wasn't what I was expecting at all, the summary made it sound different - well, the romance aspect of the summary was accurate but the bit about her family took me by surprise when reading the book (it makes it sound more funny and that her parents are just cringe-worthy instead of the way they are in the book - that aspect of the book actually managed to make me cry once or twice).

The main character annoyed me in the beginning - at least when it came to boy issues - she was just so ridiculously oblivious but she grew on me and I loved her by the end and I actually really like that Elizabeth Scott writes characters like her…because really, real people are annoying sometimes and her characters are annoying in realistic ways and likeable in realistic ways and they’re just really believable because of that.

I loved the story because of the characters; there were characters for me to love and characters for me to hate and they were all awesomely written and I thought Teagan was lovely and Finn was adorable and I want to keep him and…honestly, there’s not a whole lot I can say without getting spoiler-y.

The thing I love about Elizabeth Scott books is that she keeps her books short, sweet and to the point. She doesn’t add in chapter after chapter of filler nonsense and it still feels like she writes more of a story than a lot of books double the size of hers and she writes endings that are satisfying; they don’t leave you hanging and feeling like you didn’t get enough but she also doesn’t feel the need to make them overly neat with every single loose end tied up.

And I also love her writing but I was too into the story to mark any spoiler free quotes as examples with this one.

I know this review has been kind of vague and more about her books in general and my joy over possibly having broken out of my reading funk but the book is more of a…read it and see kind of book. Her covers and summaries seem kind of chick lit-y, and they are, but she’s in that section of the chick lit spectrum that is very raw and real and awesome. I really recommend checking out her books if you haven’t already.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think your parents are bad, try having a scantily clad mother who makes a living by hosting her own web show, and a famous playboy father old enough to be your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.