Monday, 14 November 2011

The Vampire Stalker by Allison Van Diepen


The Vampire Stalker 
by Allison Van Diepen


Summary: What if the characters in a vampire novel left their world--and came into yours?

Amy is in love with someone who doesn't exist: Alexander Banks, the dashing hero in a popular series of vampire novels. Then one night, Amy meets a boy who bears an eerie resemblance to Alexander. In fact, he IS Alexander, who has escaped from the pages of the book and is in hot pursuit of a wicked vampire named Vigo. Together, Amy and Alexander set out to track Vigo and learn how and why Alexander crossed over. But when she and Alexander begin to fall for each other, Amy wonders if she even wants him to ever return to the realm of fiction.
Don’t ‘cha just hate it when a book you’re looking forward to turns out to be a disappointment?

When I first heard about this book a few months ago, I really wanted to read it - I’m not sure why. It just sounded like it would be really fun and interesting and different from other YA paranormal books out right now.

In the end, the book was entertaining but it wasn’t anything more than that and it is one that I’ll probably have forgotten I even read within a day or two.

I didn’t like the writing at all - it’s not one of those books that I find myself wanting to mark quotes from because I love the wording or because I relate to it somehow, there was nothing quotable about this book and it was very “I did this, then I did that and then we did this.” and a lot of it was filler stuff like her telling us what she was having for dinner (think Twilight writing only less purple prose).

I didn’t feel any connection to the characters at all - I didn’t love them or hate them and so I didn’t really care what happened to them and the romance was a bit…flat.

The execution of the story honestly read like clichĂ©, mediocre author insert fan fiction (which is basically what it was only the book it was a fan fiction of only exists within the story) -- hell, the main character even writes fan fiction within the story. I guess reading the synopsis I should have guessed it would’ve felt like reading author insert fan fiction but I think maybe because it was an actual published novel I expected more, I expected it to be written better in a way that took it to another level.

The plot had some extreme ridiculous aspects to it - and I know this is fiction, but if an author writes something well enough then it will be believable within the context of the story…I’ve read books and been convinced by things like zombies and werewolves; parts of this were just not that believable.

I think it was less about the plot and more about the way it was written…like having a regular character conveniently be an expert on the very random and odd thing that happens in the book (you’ll know what I mean if you read it - the librarian). Kind of like watching a soap opera and a character suddenly has a heart attack in a restaurant but one of the other people there just happens to be a top heart surgeon who knows exactly what to do - it’s like, what are the chances? And it comes across as so planned/ridiculous.

For some reason anytime I try to think of how to say my thoughts on this book, my sentences end in eugh or meh. Other people may love this book, I can see why some people would, it just was not my cup of tea at all - good idea, bad/mediocre execution - the only really positive thing I can think to say is that it kept me entertained for a few hours but then I'm easily amused so that's not saying much (seriously: my dog spent like 15 minutes chasing the red dot from a laser pen and I thought it was silly until I realised I had spent 15 minutes completely amused just watching aforementioned dog chase the red dot from a laser pen...).

If I had to rate the book, it'd get 2/2.5 stars out of 5. Not awful, but not good either.

Later.

8 comments:

  1. You know I really wanted to read this book for months too so this is very disappointing to read that it wasn't very good. I liked Raven by her so I thought this might've been good also. Oh well. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Smiley Girlie
    dont be siaasppointed, it depends on what type of person you are i absoluty loved the book and i give it 6 out of 5 stars =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah @Smiley Girlie, but like Azira says, it just depends on the person. Opinions are subjective and if you liked the authors other book then the chances of you liking this one are probably higher (seeing as a big part of my problem was that I wasn't really feeling the writing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally love this book to tears, even though it's a total one-time thing.. Unless of course, Allison makes a sequil, which wouldn't be bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MOVIE>asap. (: I love alexander..and when they kissed, I could picture it. This book it one of many I have read, but this touched my heart. I havent finished it yet...but do plan to. OMG i love it so much so far and I was the book would have a movie based off of it. People would realize Twilights NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this book is actually quite good. Everybody has their own opinion but to say it has no purpose is well stupid as it is a book. Its purely for entertainment. Also Twilight is nothing to do with the book so why refer it I have no idea. Twilight the book is actually better than the film and I think people dont realise that. I love the vampire stalker and found it a good read. (100/10)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough if you liked it - like you said, everyone has their own opinion. But I did NOT say that it has no purpose. Please point out the part of my review that said that?

      I even said the book was entertaining, I just don't think it was anything more than that and if you think that books are purely for entertainment and don't have any value beyond that then you've clearly not been reading the right books.

      Also, I've read the Twilight books (obviously, or did you miss the fact that I the Twilight reference was about the WRITING) - I read them long before the movie was out so don't make assumptions.

      I refered to Twilight because it was relevant the point I was making - I don't like the writing in Twilight, a lot of people consider Twilight badly written and the writing in this book reminded me of that writing style so if anyone who reads this blog has similar taste in books as me then that might help them decide whether or not they want to read this one (or whether they'd rather check it out at the library instead of buying it).

      Wow, this comment got a bit long and ranty, but it would be wonderful if you'd refrain from implying I'm stupid for something I did not even say (that the book had no purpose) and then correcting me with something I actually did say (that the book was entertaining).

      Delete
  7. i loved the book and i agree that it depends on the person who reads it i thought the book was well written it had me jumping and laughing. this is the type of book i would tell people to read and good job to the writter. and for the people who didnt like this book........ i dont like you

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.