Saturday, 31 December 2011

Books I Read and Never Reviewed

Sometimes I read a book and I know I'll need to review it at some point...but I just don't know when. And I put it off and put it off so long that it just never happens. Other times, I just don't have anything to say about a book or I feel like it doesn't fit on the blog. I figured I could at least bring these books to your attention with a little bit about what I think of them.
 

1. The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley

I really did enjoy this one, don't get me wrong. But I expected to fall head over heels in love with it. I'd been wanting to read it for over a year and I think I just let the expectations get too high. It's definitely an enjoyable historical fiction read, set during Queen Elizabeth I's reign, but not what I hoped for.



2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Why didn't I review this one? Well...I wasn't sure what to say. Everyone seems to be falling over themselves to adore this book, but I didn't click with it. Was it well written? Sure. Was it a pretty cool read? Sure. Did I like the characters? Yeah. So what's wrong with it? I think the answer is me. I just can't pinpoint anything wrong with this book. I should've, theoretically, loved it. Because I couldn't figure out this flaw, I just kept putting it off and now it seems kind of silly to review it at all because I barely remember it. A wonderful book but we just didn't have the right chemistry.


3. Austenland by Shannon Hale

I actually loved this book. I'm not sure why I didn't throw it in to my Favorites of 2011 post. But I felt like it didn't really fit with the blog and I'd only review it if I was so totally at a loss for any post and frantic. I highly, highly recommend this book and Midnight in Austenland, the sequel, is one of my most anticipated books of 2012 (I was going to include in yesterday's post, but since I never reviewed the book, I again thought it didn't really fit).


4. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

The reason I didn't review this one is pretty simple. I put it off for a while and eventually decided I could just do a whole series review. I had every intention of getting all the books in this series and having a read a thon over the summer. That didn't work out the way I planned. As of now I've got books 2, 4, 7, 8 and 9. I'm planning to buy book 3 in the next couple days, but still. I don't want to continue this series until I own all the books. Maybe someday I'll get my read-a-thon and review the series as a whole. But for the record, I really enjoyed the first book and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Definitely recommend it if you want something light, funny, and romantic.


5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This book is brilliant. Beautifully written and well crafted. Confusing at times, but lovely over all. It's even an honorary favorite of the year. But I just never felt the need to review it. It felt like it was a just for me book. And I wasn't sure I could say anything other then what I've already said. I enjoyed the book thoroughly, I loved the ending, and I recommend it to anyone who wants something magical.



6. The Color of Water by James McBride
Honestly, I was just sick of this book. I read it for school and had to take quizzes and write essays...I had absolutely no interest into then reviewing the book. It's not a book I read for the blog and it's not necessarily a book I would recommend. It was good and interesting, but just not my taste. If it's your kind of book, go for it. But it's just not mine. Probably because I had to work with it so much.

7. The Six Rules of Maybe by Deb Caletti

I picked this book up on a whim around the time Stay came out. Deb Caletti was getting a lot of interest and I decided it was time to read one of her books. This one seemed the most interesting of the ones BJs had. I ended up liking it a lot, it was even on the favorites shelf for a while, but it was nothing super memorable to me. I can't even remember why I didn't review it. This book just didn't leave much of a mark on me and I wasn't sure what to tell you about it. All I can tell you is that I intend to read more of Deb's works in the future.


8. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I'll be totally honest, I read this because I wanted to see the movie because Rob Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon were the stars and I adore them. This book became another favorite and actually remained on my favorites shelf. I loved reading about the circus and I loved the tension. I loved seeing the contrast from young Jacob and old Jacob. The old Jacob made me laugh. Marlena and Rosie were wonderful. I just really, really loved this book. Don't ask me why I decided not to review it.



9. Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin

I had this book and I had Forgotten by Cat Patrick and I decided to save this for after reading Forgotten because I felt like I'd like this one more. I ended up not really feeling anything towards it. It was a book. Stuff happened. A character had no memory. It was so meh and blah, I had no urge to talk about it or review it. I didn't even remember reading it until I was going through to make this list. It was nothing special, nothing for me to say about it.


10. Love by Numbers Series by Sarah MacLean (link leads to first book)

I've never really read romance novels before, but I loved The Season too much not to read more of Sarah's books. I ended up falling in love with this whole series and the heroines and the heroes. These books are also addictive. I think I ended up staying awake way longer than I intended to read each of these books. I'm sad the series is over, but SO excited to read Sarah's next series, which if I remember right has four books.

11. Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot

I finished reading this when the new year started, so I think it technically counts as a 2011 book. I enjoyed this book a lot. In my tiny goodreads review, I said it was like a slightly altered Pride and Prejudice. And y'all should know me and my Pride and Prejudice retellings by now. I really enjoyed this book. It was a light, fun, quick read that I recommend if you can find it.



12. The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

This was such a quick read, I think I read all or most of it in school. It was very different from a normal book, not telling the story linearly, but alphabetically. It was cute and sad and wonderful. A romance from beginning to end. You have to think a little bit to make it all make sense, but it's fun. I highly recommend this when you're in need of a quick read.


13. Grace by Elizabeth Scott

This book was so far off from what I expected. I liked it, I did. but I was expected some more action. Instead it was a lot of traveling. And more traveling. And more traveling. I hoped for more from my first Elizabeth Scott book. I didn't have a lot to say about this one. It just...was.



Beyond that, it was a lot of books I started and never finished but intend to someday. A few school books that I kind of read, but not really. A number of sequels including Misguided Angel, Ready or Not, and Haunted.

Hopefully next year, this number will be lower. Or maybe higher if it's mostly books for school. Then I can promise nothing.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the quick lowdown. Out of all of these, Night Circus sounds the most intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.