Thursday, 29 December 2011

Fracture by Megan Miranda


Fracture
by Megan Miranda


UK release date: January 5th 2012

Summary: Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine - despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
This book was really, really awesome and I wasn't expecting to love it but I kind of did. It was just - not what I expected at all, but in a really good way.
I loved the characters in this weird way. They drove me nuts half the time and I wanted to pull them out of the novel and scream at them, lecture them or perhaps just knock their heads together - maybe all three simultaneously. But they felt real and flawed and their flaws drove me nuts but it made me like them more because...it made them feel more real (and this sentence just went full circle). 

And I really liked the writing and something about the story left me with that kind of...you know that sort of breathless, on-the-edge-of-your-seat feeling you get watching a horror/thriller movie? The book kind of gave me that feeling while I was reading and I'm not sure why but I like that it did. Some of the plot twists were pretty easy to guess long before the character figured it out but it still kept me hooked from start to finish.

The romance in the book...it had me totally frustrated with the characters most of the time. But it was in that addictive sort of way that, while it's frustrating, it keeps you turning pages wanting the relationships to just be resolved and even though you know who will end up together, you still need to keep reading just so you can read it happening.

I loved how the book didn't turn Delaney into some superhero who could run around saving lives with her shiny new power - it was dealt with in a more raw and real way that makes you really think about life and death and what is right and what is a worse kind of suffering and the difference between right and wrong when it comes to certain things.

The book wasn't perfect, no book is really, and I do wish that some things had maybe been explained a little more or resolved in a bit more detail (particularly the Decker situation) - but while it did leave me wanting more in some areas, I was mostly fine with how the book turned out and how the story ended and it was that good balance of closure and things left up to the imagination. 

But yeah, to sum up, the book was really great and it was addictive and awesome and I'm looking forward to reading whatever Megan Miranda writes next. 

The book rating: 4 or 4.5 out of 5.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Great review. I won a copy of this book and I am very eager to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Fracture too. Everything about it. All of it. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how Miranda handled Delaney's character and her new powers - I thought that was great, and her writing style was fabulous. On that note, the love triangle pissed me off and I couldn't get through it because I was so frustrated by it.

    *shameless self promotion* On the other hand, for those who do want to read it, there's a giveaway for it on WORD going on until the 31. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pre-ordered a signed copy of this book and this review is making me happy that I did. I loved hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.