Thursday, 15 December 2011

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Rae Carson
Greenwillow Books
[September 20, 2011]

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

Elisa may be one of my favorite main characters. While she does have this gift, she doesn't know how to use it so it's not as important in the first half or so of the book. That first half is about Elisa and her changing and growing, physically, mentally, emotionally. Once she'd gotten a better sense of herself and the strength she had, then she started exploring the powers she had and I really liked how that was handled.

The setting in this world was rich and descriptive and vibrant. I could see it all in my head. Rae Carson just crafts a fantastic world that I want to frolic in and explore more. I also wish there was a map just to enhance it a little more (maybe there is and I'm just forgetting, care to enlighten me?). It's a world I hope can be explored in future books.

Rae's writing is just so lush and beautiful I wanted to drown in it. This is no short book, and yet I still read it within a 48 hour period. I wandered with Elisa and loved who Elisa loved and felt heartbreak when she felt heartbreak. This book manipulated my emotions and played with my heart. I wasn't just reading this book; I was experience the story. I was Elisa. The ability to do that is rare and wonderful.

Even the one complaint I have with this book that I can't tell you because it's a spoiler...I understand why it had to happen. I've come to terms with it. Someday, I'll move on. 

Just, please, get this book for someone this holiday season. Whether it's you or a friend or your dog, more people need to pick up this fantastic book.

--Julie

4 comments:

  1. LOVED this book so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book. I totally loved how she had to grow and get to know herself before she could use her gift.
    Oh! Now I really want to know what your problem was and if it was the same as the issue I had??
    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your complaint. But I think I've finally come to terms with that too. Though...whoa.

    I love this book though. You're right, it's a huge book, but a fast read because it just sucks you in. It was one of my faves of 2011.

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really thought about reading this book even though it caught my attention when I first saw it. Then my friend gave it to me as a birthday present and for some reasons I can't put it down. I FELL IN LOVE with it! One of the best fantasy book I've read. I don't know how to describe it, but if you want a different read that contains action, fantasy, and romance, this is the book you NEED to check out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.