Friday, 9 December 2011

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

 **Spoilers for Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side**

Jessica Rules the Dark Side
Beth Fantaskey
Harcourt Children's Books
[January 10, 2012]

It’s one thing to find out you’re a vampire princess. It’s a whole other thing to actually rule. Newly married Jessica Packwood is having a hard enough time feeling regal with her husband, Lucius, at her side. But when evidence in the murder of a powerful elder points to Lucius, sending him into solitary confinement, Jessica is suddenly on her own. Determined to clear her husband’s name, Jessica launches into a full-scale investigation, but hallucinations and nightmares of betrayal keep getting in her way. Jessica knows that with no blood to drink, Lucius’s time is running out. Can she figure out who the real killer is—and whom she can trust—before it’s too late?
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side is one of my favorite books, so when I heard about this book I was super excited! However, it didn't live up to my epxectations.

What I was expecting from this book and what happened were really different. I was expecting Jessica to have grown and matured and be confident in what she was doing. Instead, I just wanted to hurt her throughout most of the book. She second guessed everything and pretty much let others control her and didn't seem to catch on to things that were so obvious.

The book was also told from four different perspectives. And anyone who's read Beth's work knows that she has short chapters. I have no problem with different perspectives OR short chapters, but combined (and with that many points of view) it gets kind of confusing. There were three or four story lines going on, yet I still felt like little was really happening.

There was also a decided lack of romance. Lucius is absent for most of the book so he's not with Jessica and while I wanted Jessica to be independent, I also wanted to see her and Lucius being a cute, married couple. That didn't happen so much and it was kind of disappointing. 

Beth's writing is as good as ever. Despite that many points of view, I was still able to be engaged and sit and read for a while without getting bored. 

Honestly, this isn't a bad book at all. I'm sure some people will love this as much as they loved the first. But it wasn't what I was expecting it to be and that disappointment kind of overrode anything else. I do think that you should try it if you loved the first one, however. It's still entertaining and I would still read a third book if Beth writes one.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Jessica's Rules The Dark Side is amazing! Every twist or the story, every betrayal seen, Jessica rise with great strength as the Queen. I truly enjoyed this book and can't wait to read more adventures of Jessica and Lucius.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.