Monday, 26 December 2011

Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey


Stolen Away
by Alyxandra Harvey


UK Release date: January 5th 2012 (the US cover is different too)

Summary: For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric—who may or may not betray them.
I loved Alyxandra's Drake Chronicles series and while I didn't like this book quite as much, it kept me entertained and had a similar charm to it as her other books which made it enjoyable.

I don't like books with alternating POV's but Alyxandra Harvey is one of the few authors that can write books like that without making me want to toss it across the room - I do still latch onto one narrators story more than the other but it doesn't feel like a chore reading the one that isn't my favourite.

In this book, the story was split between Jo and Eloise and I liked Eloise as a character more - while I liked Jo, something about her character just annoyed me (it may have been the whole American excessively using British slang/curse words or her boy obsession). The boys in the book were great - particularly Lucas and Devin.

As for the story... Maybe it's because I'm not majorly into the whole fae thing but while I was drawn into the world created in the book, it was still a little unclear on the details; loads of fae terms were thrown about and politics mentioned without really properly being explained and you're given a vague idea of what's going on but it's still...too much added without enough explanation. Or at least it felt that way to me.

And the way the characters acted about the whole fae issue - it didn't seem believable, the way they accepted things a bit too easily and launched themselves right into things without really asking many questions...there wasn't enough skepticism from any of them or curiosity and even within the context of the story it just - I didn't entirely believe it and had to suspend disbelief there in a big way.

The friendships and romance in the book: one of the things I love most about Alyxandra's books is the relationships. They're cute and predictable in the way that I love (guilty pleasure). The Devin/Eloise/Jo friendship was done quite well and was one of the best parts of the book, the parts that made it feel more real.

The romance on the otherhand...while it was one of the things I liked about this book, it was also one of the things that made it not as good as her other books I've read because the romance in Jo's chapters felt so annoyingly insta-love-ish (and I hate that). The romance in Eloise's chapters was working on the same time frame but it felt more natural somehow, less annoying. I can accept insta-love so long as it feels natural while I'm reading it, like it's not forced or if I'm given a good reason to be convinced by it.

Sorry, the review has turned into less of an explanation of what I liked about the book and more an explanation of why I didn't love it and why it wasn't as good as the Drake Chronicles.

Basically, I can't explain what I liked about the book in great detail. It's fun, it's entertaining - what I liked about the book is as simple as that. It's not absolutely amazing but it's good if you're craving a light supernatural book that you can get through quickly. Her books are kind of like the supernatural version of the Gallagher Girl books by Ally Carter (not plot-wise) where they're just cute and fun to read and they have cute romances and quirky characters that are hard not to like.

If you like books about fae or like Alyxandra's other books then this one will probably work for you. I already mentioned this but I'm not really a fan of books about fae - not sure why really (although I there are rare exceptions and I don't mind it when fae are present in books but not the main paranormal thing), but I liked this book anyway so that's a good sign.

I'll stop rambling now (it's 7am on boxing day and I haven't slept yet).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Hm! I really like basically anything faery so I am going to have to check it out. It sounds fabulous! Great review and great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.