Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Torn by Cat Clarke

Torn
by Cat Clarke


UK Release Date: December 22nd (I think - the press release has that, the ARC has January 5th)

Summary: Four girls. One dead body. A whole lot of guilt.

Alice King isn’t expecting the holiday of a lifetime when she sets off with her classmates on a trip to the Scottish wilderness, but she’s not exactly prepared for an experience beyond her darkest nightmares…

Alice and her best friend Cass are stuck in a cabin with Polly, the social outcast, and Rae, the moody emo-girl. Then there’s Tara – queen of mean. Powerful, beautiful and cruel, she likes nothing better than putting people down.

Cass decides it’s time to teach Tara a lesson she’ll never forget. And so begins a series of events that will change the lives of these girls forever...
I really liked the book but for some reason whenever i try to write the review, it seems more negative than positive so I guess I'll just go with it and explain that at the end.

Alice was very difficult to like. She just...the more I read, the less I liked her, she was such a selfish character which annoyed me because in the beginning it kind of seemed like she was one of the nice girls but - I just didn't like her most of the time and I couldn't relate to her at all. She redeems herself a tiny bit in the end but it's not enough.  

The way Cat wrote the characters was pretty brilliant though. You would think you had a character figured out and then she could have you change your mind a few chapters later with nice girls being the nasty ones and the bitchy girls showing more depth than you'd have guessed. 

The more I read, the more I thought tara was the most interesting character and how I'd have rather read a story through her eyes than alice - she seemed like the typical bitchy popular girl at first, but there's little things throughout the story that made it seem like there was maybe a bit more to her than that and I'd have liked to see more.

The romance in the book...normally the romance is my favourite part and the one in this one would've been awesome except for the major flaw: Alice. I just couldn't root for Alice to be with Jack. He was so lovely and sweet and it felt wrong to want them to be together so I was at war with myself - on one hand, I wanted more scenes of them together but at the same time I didn't want them together. 

I had to keep stopping every so often - I could only handle the book in small doses. not because it wasn't a good book, it was - Cat Clarke is a brilliant author and I love her writing and something about her stories always feels brand new even if variations of those plots have been done before, she makes them feel original. Something I love about her books is how she writes about grief, she is one of those authors who gets it right and it doesn't feel like she's just writing cliches making you think the writer has never lost someone they love (I hate it when books dealing with death are like that).

I kind of went off on a tangent there, but yeah, I had to keep stopping because the book...I just knew it wasn't going to end well and I had issues with the characters and just - I needed to put it down to get a break from it and then it was difficult to pick up again because it's hard to read a story that you know isn't going to end well. But I really liked the book so I had to finish it and it's worth it in the end.

The ending bothered me a little. More because, like Entangled, it was one of those, "What? it can't end there!" kind of endings. It leaves you wanting more. More answers, more closure...I wanted to know more about Tara, she was still such a mystery (I particularly wanted to know if she was lying about something that she said happened) and I wanted to know what the aftermath would be like for the characters and just - I wanted more. But it was a great ending. 

It's hard to pin point why I liked this book aside from the reasons I already mentioned about Cats books. The fact that i liked it while not liking most of the characters including the main one is impressive. I liked it in a different way to Entangled - Entangled got totally under my skin and shattered my heart and tore me to pieces and rubbed salt in the wounds (I'll stop now), but this was so different, it got to me in a different way and didn't make me cry or anything. It's like one of those paintings that aren't exactly pleasant to look at but you need to anyway and can't deny there's a twisted beauty in what the artist created (I should stop with the craptastic analogies).

And I'm doing such an awful job of reviewing this book so I'll just quit...while I'm behind? Yeah. I really recommend Cat Clarkes books. Entangled was my favourite but this one is a 3.5/4 out of 5 star book (closer to the 4 by the end).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I NEED to read Cat Clarke's books sometime!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.