Monday, 19 December 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
by Michelle Hodkin


Summary: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.
So I loved this book, it was awesome but I'm not really sure what to say about it. 

The book wasn't perfect and I had some issues with certain aspects of it - and yet I loved the book in spite of those things and somehow they worked in the context of the story. Really, they were less issues and more things that I knew maybe should bother me or definitely would bother me in another book (or have in the past) and yet they just - didn't in this one.

The romance...I loved that part. It was one of those guilty pleasure romances that I'm a total sucker for where the guy is a bad boy player type who changes his ways when the right girl comes along and there were cute moments and funny moments and meltyomgbutterfly moments. But the romance was also one of the negatives (or should-be negatives).

I loved the Noah/Mara relationship because it was enjoyable to read and their banter made me laugh and all that good stuff but I think Noah's character is a bit cliche. He was rich, popular, gorgeous, really smart etc. and Mara was the unique little snowflake that he fell for and none of the other girls mattered. And he was British. Maybe it's because I am British, but the fascination that Americans have with British guys...I don't get it. He was just a bit too perfect. Loved him, but his character was basically the Mary Sue (uh, Gary Stu?) of the story (only less annoying)...and yet when I was reading the story, I just couldn't bring myself to care because he was awesome.

Mara - I really wasn't convinced by her grief. It never felt like I was reading a story about a girl whose best friend died. But then, like I said, it made sense within the context of the story and the way her character was. But she was an awesome narrator and aside from the grief thing, her problems were done really well and even had me questioning what was real and what wasn't.

The story had its confusing moments (although, please note, I was reading just before I went to sleep so that could have factored into it) but it felt really original and awesome and left me wanting more (seriously, how could it end there?!). The plot was unpredictable and I went into the book not really knowing what to expect - honestly, the summary didn't appeal to me but the cover did and Julie told me it was awesome and I looked up quotes and it pushed me to read it - but it totally took me by surprise.

Michelle somehow managed to write the story in a way that worked and I loved the characters and the story and just - I really enjoyed reading it. It may have snapped me out of my most recent reading funk. And  I really liked the writing, particularly the dialogue - there were a lot of one liners and conversations with the characters that made me laugh or made me smile and while I mentioned that I never really felt convinced by Mara's grief, I was totally pulled into all the other aspects of the story and it made me feel.

...And that's all I can think to say really. This is one of those books that I loved but it's hard to explain why.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I love Hodkin's writing. She totally seduced me with her words. There were so many scenes that I adored in this book that I found myself sighing or writing down some of my favorite quotes. Mara's journey to find out what happened to her the night her friends died became quite an addictive page turner. There were some events that came to light that were unpredictable which is always good when you can keep me guessing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.