Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

*Some spoilers be here. Please be wary of the spoilers*

Fracture
Megan Miranda
Walker and Company
[January 17, 2012]

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

This book wasn't what I expected in the slightest. 

I'll be totally honest, I expected some really romantic, sweet book about how this girl comes to grips with death and dying and her new powers related to that and maybe there's a love triangle. Instead, I got a book where the characters and the story don't stand out so much as the message behind it.

Delaney was just a character to me. Nothing special or extraordinary. The relationship she had with Troy were interesting, kind of creepy. It was one of the very intriguing parts of the book for me. The relationship between Delaney and Decker was also interesting, though at times annoying. It was a very back and forth relationship that left me frustrated yet happy, depending on where they were. 

For me the best part was the thoughts it gave me. Troy and Delaney's new powers lead to arguments between the two, arguments that made me think. Both can tell if a person's going to die in the near future. Troy tends to help the process along, while Delaney wants to stop it. For me it raised the question on if we have the right to help someone die. Do humans have the right to decide somebody else is ready to leave earth? It was even more interesting that this discussion came up in my English class the day after I finished it.

The ending was really good. Very interesting, different, and unexpected. I was pleasantly surprised by most of it, though some of it was semi-obvious. I was glad to see it happen, though.

Overall, this could've just been any other book. But the relationships, the questions it raises, and the ending made it something else all together. If you want something a little darker, and thought provoking, this is definitely one to pick up.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I don't think this one is for me, although I think a lot of people likes it.

    Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Fracture. It does bring up some interesting questions.

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.