Tuesday, 24 January 2012

This Is Shyness by Leanne Hall


This is Shyness
by Leanne Hall


Summary: A guy who howls. A girl on a mission to forget.

In the suburb of Shyness, where the sun doesn’t rise and the border crackles with a strange energy, Wolfboy meets a stranger at the Diabetic Hotel. She tells him her name is Wildgirl, and she dares him to be her guide through the endless night.

But then they are mugged by the sugar-crazed Kidds. And what plays out is moving, reckless...dangerous. There are things that can only be said in the dark. And one long night is time enough to change your life.

This is quite possibly the most wonderfully weird book that I've ever read (or maybe a close second after Bleeding Violet).

I don't think I was in the right mood to read a book like this, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could've/would've/should've, but I still finished it with the overall opinion that the book is awesome.

The plot...I don't know why, but I was just expecting a quirky contemporary story and instead got this - odd story that had me going, "What the French toast?" every so often because it was just so weird. The setting is brilliant in all its weirdness.

The characters were strange in a really awesome way and when you finish the book, you're still left with a lot of unanswered questions about the story and the characters but it's in a way that works while in any other book, it would probably frustrate me.

The romance between Wolfboy and Wildgirl was pretty mild. I was expecting this to be a book with romance as a big thing but it felt more like they were building a friendship than anything else (although there was romance in it)...it was sweet.

I don't even know what else to say about this book. I think it's another Aussie YA book and just like 90% of Aussie YA books, this one somehow stands out as being unique and different and awesome in comparison to all other YA books.

Rating: probably 4 stars out of 5 (if I had been in a better mood while reading, maybe a 4.5)

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.