Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky
Veronica Rossi
HarperCollins
[January 3, 2012]

Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers a barbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY.

Yet another wonderful, wonderful debut novel!
Aria and Perry were wonderful protagonists. They grew so much as characters. At first, they were both kind of unlikable, but they changed and developed together into two characters I adored. They were strong and independent and they learned to accept each other, despite all the differences they thought they had. They both had their own concerns that they were passionate about. These two were caring and love their families, so much. And they were together and I just love them, guys. I do. Especially when they're together, together.

The story itself never dragged. They're traveling a lot, but that's never the only thing going on. There was always more to it, always something else to beware of. New characters and new dangers one wouldn't expect. Then they get places and there's more traveling and every thing was interesting. There was a lot going on through out the book, but they were either entwined or separate, starting and ending before the climax.

The ending was also unexpected. So unexpected. I both loved it and hated it. I hated the position the characters were left in and I hated the fact I'd have to wait more than a year to know what happens next, but I loved the tension. I loved that it wasn't what was expected. I loved that Veronica Rossi made me feel all these things. 

Veronica's an incredible writer. There's a lot of emotion, a lot of tension. Everything was so well described I could paint it all in my head. My heart was with the characters, it broke with them, it loved with them, it feared with them. At the beginning, I wasn't sure I'd like this one so much, but as it went on, I loved it more and more.

I just loved this book so hard by the time I finished. The beginning might be kind of tough, but just stick with it. It all works out well and becomes wonderful.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Combined, they were a great duo to read about. Another thing that made Under the Never Sky stand out was how the romance between Aria and Perry grew throughout the book. There was no "insta-love," which made their relationship realistic and believable. I also loved Cinder's character, and hope to learn more about why and how he is the way he is in the next book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.