Monday, 6 February 2012

Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Every Other Day
by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Summary: Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.
I've mentioned before that sometimes you read a book and it's so good that it reminds you why you love reading in the first place. This book? It was one of those books (although instead of being in the catagory with books like Jellicoe Road, The Sky is Everywhere and Perks of Being a Wallflower that I connect with on some personal, serious level, or I'm in awe of the story/writing, it's in the same group as books like The Hunger Games and Hourglass and Divergent - books that are fun and hook me from start to finish and leave me feeling all, "Yay, books!" and emotionally invested in the characters).

Seriously, I thought I loved Jennifers Raised by Wolves series, but compared to this book, my love for that series is like comparing puppy love to soulmates. If I could marry a book, Every Other Day and I would be on our honeymoon by now... Okay, not a good analogy, but you get the point, right? The book was awesome and totally snapped me out of my reading funk.

The characters... I just want to know them all, they were brilliant. And the world was brilliant, and the plot, and the writing. 

It was written in the kind of way that books like Paranormalcy and Hex Hall are; where the voice is distinctive and it makes me laugh but can make me cry too and the main character is quirky and her little sarcastic comments amuse me and it's like whatever she's feeling, you get to go along for the ride and it's awesome. 

I really loved all the characters; especially Kali, Beth, Zev and Skyler...and I want there to be a sequel (which is rare for me, because I kind of got sick of series' a while ago) because I want more of these characters and this world (please someone tell me there's a sequel?).

At risk of sounding too fangirl-ish (or did I cross that like with the book marrying analogy?), I'll stop there, but Jennifer Lynn Barnes is most definitely on my instant read list now and I want to go back and read any of her other books that I missed.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I love her raised by wolve series. I haven't bought this one yet though. I have read a few mixed things.. I def. plan to get this one eventually.

    Lol at your "yay books!" I think I may say this at least 3 times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book, too. It was AMAZING!

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.