Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Favourite Fictional Couples/Couples I Wish Had Happened

Seeing as it's Valentines day and all (although, personally, I think the whole idea of that day is a bit daft in general), I figured I'd do a post talking about my favourite couples/love stories in fiction - and a couple of couples that aren't actually canon but I think would've been fab anyway.

They're not listed in order of preference and they may not be my All Time Favourite couples, but they're on my favourites list and the ones that I thought of first while writing this post.



1. Taylor Markham and Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta not only writes some of my favourite books ever, but also my favourite pairings - if I hadn't decided to include only one pairing per author in this list then Froi/Quintana, Phaedra/Lucian, Isaboe/Finnikin, Tom/Tara from three of her other books would've also made the list.

But seriously, Taylor and Jonah...they're just awesome, they save each other and they're far from perfect but their flaws are part of what makes them a great pairing.

“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.” 

2. Anna/Etienne from Anna and the French Kiss

These two...I don't approve of *how* they got together, but I wanted them together and was rooting for them the whole time, and while some circumstances make me want to lecture one or both of the characters, I did love their relationship

It was kind of a...slow burn, not rushed, not insta-love and it started with friendship with attraction thrown in and relationships that start that way are awesome. They were sweet and funny and...yeah.

"Most people in Atlanta don't have an accent. It's pretty urban. A lot of people speak gangsta, though," I add jokingly.
"Fo' shiz," he replies in his polite English accent.
I spurt orangey-red soup across the table. St. Clair gives a surprised ha-HA kind of laugh, and I'm laughing too, the painful kind like abdominal crunches. He hands me a napkin to wipe my chin. "Fo'. Shiz." He repeats it solemnly.
Cough cough. "Please don't ever stop saying that. It's too-" I gasp. "Much."
"You oughtn't to have said that. Now I shall have to save it for special occasions."
"My birthday is in February." Cough choke wheeze. "Please don't forget."

3. Lina/Andrius from Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

These two...something about their relationship seemed more realistic than a lot of the other ones. Maybe it was because the book wasn't a romance so it didn't feel like there was a spotlight shining on it - it was just a story with love in it. And it was such a heartbreaking story told beautifully and I think that's why I loved these two - the subject matter is very dark and it's based on truth but the fact that love can still happen in the midst of all that suffering and awfulness, it makes it even more beautiful.


“How did I get here? How did I end up in the arms of a boy I barely knew but knew I didn't want to lose. I wondered what I would have thought of Andrius in Lithuania. Would I have liked him? Would he have liked me?”

 4. Lochan/Maya from Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Lochan and Maya...my heart aches a little just thinking about them. Their love for each other is so beautiful and innocent and they're like best friends, soulmates, but because of something totally beyond their control they're not allowed to be together - because society can't get over the fact they're brother and sister.

If the subject matter makes you disgusted or whatever, then I suggest you read this book, it might make you a bit more open minded about it.


“At the end of the day it's about how much you can bear, how much you can endure. Being together, we harm nobody; being apart, we extinguish ourselves.” 

5. Lucius/Jessica from Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

I'm not even sure what to say about these two. I just loved how they were with each other - how it wasn't insta-love, how they got off to a rocky start and they had plenty of that addictive angsty stuff in the beginning but once they got through that, their relationship was all wonderful and swoon-inducing. I loved the characters individually, then together they were even more awesome.



“Nuts. Lucius Vladescu is completely nuts. And I'm alone with him, in an empty barn. So I did what any sane person would do. I jammed the pitchfork in the general direction of his foot and ran like hell for the house, ignoring his yowl of pain.”

6. Suze/Jesse from The Mediator series by Meg Cabot

These two...Suze is quirky and fun and Jesse is sweet and old fashioned (being a ghost and all), their romance seemed improbable considering how different their personalities seemed to be, like they'd clash, and also kind of impossible considering he was dead. But they were brilliant, I love them together and the way Jesse calls her Querida. All those girls who swoon over Bella and Edwards relationship in Twilight should've totally checked out this series first because Jesse was like Edward done right and Suze was like - what would happen if Bella had personality and wasn't a Mary Sue. =P

“It will hurt. Because deep down, I'll know there was someone.. someone I was supposed to have met. Only I'll never meet him. I'll go through my whole life waiting for him to come along, only he never will. What kind of life is that?”

7. Tita and Pedro from Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

This story is beautiful...magical realism, rich culture, and these two characters...their passion and love for each other, the frustrating things that kept them apart but their lives tangled together -- jjgldkjg. I loved the book so much and I shipped these two so hard.

“You don't have to think about love; you either feel it or you don't.

 8. Tariq/Laila from A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

These two...jlnkjfbvjbvpjbf. Another couple that start as friends and they go through so much and just - they shatter my heart into little pieces and put it back together again. They're awesome and I love their characters as individuals too. And now I want to reread the book and I want the movie to happen so I can see their relationship on screen.



“Tariq tucked the gun into the waist of his denims. Then he said a thing both lovely and terrible. "For you," he said. "I'd kill with it for you, Laila.”

-x-

“Laila had learned a fundamental truth about time: Like the accordion on which Tariq’s father sometimes played old Pashto songs, time stretched and contracted depending on Tariq’s absence or presence.”
And the last two couples are couples I kind of wish had happened but didn't:

9. Draco/Hermione from Harry Potter

Maybe I've just read too many good Dramione fanfics or maybe it's that I have a thing for bad guys becoming good for love but I love them as a non-canon pairing. And you know if they ended up together, they'd have to really love each other - Draco would have to see past a prejudice he's been raised with since birth and Hermione would have to forgive his horribleness from when they were younger. I think she could bring out the best in him and he could make her lighten up a bit, make her more mischievous. In the books, I'm all for Ron/Hermione, but in fanfiction...

10. Jasper/Bella from Twilight...seriously. o.O

Um...yeah. This is another one you can blame fanfic for, but even their book characters make more sense to me than who they're actually with. Alice and Edward both seem pretty dominant and controlling while Bella and Jasper seem more quiet, reserved, laid back - sure, opposites can attract but sometimes people who are similar are good together. Jasper is scarred and imperfect while Edward is someone Bella sees as flawless, has up on a pedestal and feels inferior to. I think Jasper and Bella would be equals in a relationship.

Plus, in the first book, while everyone else is running around trying to save her life, in the midst of all that chaos, he's the only one who makes sure she's emotionally okay - yeah, he's an empath, but he barely knew her and yet he took the time to tell her she was worth it, he didn't have to do that. 

I get why these two couples didn't happen, and in the case of Dramione, I'm glad it didn't because it would interfere with my favourite couple that did happen in the HP series but still...it's fun to imagine. Gotta love fanfiction; the world where the couples that didn't happen can happen.

So who are some of your favourite couples in fiction? Or couples you wish had happened but didn't?

Also, Happy Valentines Day, and if no one else has said it to you today:


Later.

5 comments:

  1. UM LET ME JUST SAY: New blogger best friend!!!! I have an instant liking for someone who admits they are a fan of Draco/Hermione.

    Now I have a VERY VERY strong urge to read fan fiction. Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually roll my eyes when it comes to fan fiction pairings. Especially the Draco/Hermione one. Can't help it. I love Ron and Hermione so much! But, after reading your argument for why you love it, I may have to give Dramione a chance!
    And, I'm so with you on the Jasper/Bella pairing. It does make a lot of sense. While I did enjoy the Twilight books I've read, I really just can't get behind Bella and Edward. There is just so much wrong with their relationship. Jasper and Bella really would have made more sense. And, I probably would have actually swooned if that pairing were canon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled onto your blog a second ago and what do I find? A mention of Forbidden that's not screaming ew! with nothing else.

    I just wanted to say I agree, that story ripped my heart to shreds. It bothered me when I went to find reviews and it was mostly freaking out about the two kids and nothing about anything else. I could feel the kids' pain in their words, it disappoints me that people are so willing to overlook it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, cont...

    Although I have to say it's less "they can't be together" and more about them being so profoundly messed up from what they've gone through that their only option is really each other. Kids needed help, they didn't get it, and it all went so horribly, horribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they totally needed help and had other issues, it's just - them loving each other, I saw that as one of the good things in their life instead of one of the bad, it was a problem to everyone else but not to them (even though their love for each other was a result of the messed up life they've had).

      If it was legal for them to be together, they probably would've been alright and together would've made sure the little kids were alright too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.