Saturday, 11 February 2012

Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta


Froi of the Exiles
(Lumatere Chronicles #2)
by Melina Marchetta

US release date: March 13th 2012

Summary: Blood sings to blood, Froi . . .
Those born last will make the first . . .
For Charyn will be barren no more.

Three years after the curse on Lumatere was lifted, Froi has found his home... Or so he believes...

Fiercely loyal to the Queen and Finnikin, Froi has been trained roughly and lovingly by the Guard sworn to protect the royal family, and has learned to control his quick temper. But when he is sent on a secretive mission to the kingdom of Charyn, nothing could have prepared him for what he finds. Here he encounters a damaged people who are not who they seem, and must unravel both the dark bonds of kinship and the mysteries of a half-mad Princess.

And in this barren and mysterious place, he will discover that there is a song sleeping in his blood, and though Froi would rather not, the time has come to listen.
Note: the US cover is different, but the one above is the version I have - I ordered the book from Australia - although, I had an e-galley of it too.

I've probably said hundreds of times on this blog that Melina Marchetta is one of my all time favourite authors and she keeps on proving she deserves that title with every book of hers that I read. This one is no exception, I loved it, just like every other book of hers that I've read.

I'm not big on high fantasy books. Sure, sometimes I get the urge to read them and there's some that I like but it's not a genre that I read very often - but when it's written by Melina Marchetta...wow. I don't know how she does it, but she manages to just make these beautifully complex stories, with characters who are wonderful and flawed in the best of ways and love stories that make my heart ache because of the beauty of them.

I adored the first book, Finnikin of the Rock, and this one...I'm not sure if I loved it more or less or about the same, but whichever it was, I still loved it and it's difficult to compare the two because the stories feel so different - and that's a good thing, because often it's hard not to compare books but she makes each one stand on its own even though it's the same world with a bunch of the same characters, she makes each story feel brand new instead of just a continuation of the last book.

I love the characters in this one, Froi is awesome and Lirah and Arujo and Gargarin and Phaedra, and it was strange seeing characters who were such a focal point of the last book, like Finnikin and Isaboe, through the eyes of different characters. 

There's so much I could say about the book that it makes it hard to know what to say, so I'll just leave it at this: the book is brilliant. If you haven't read a Melina Marchetta book, go read one now, she's amazingly talented at writing raw and beautiful contemporary YA books and has proven she can write kick ass high fantasy novels too.

I can't wait to read the last book, this one ended on a cliffhanger and I wanted to cry because that means waiting until like October for the next book but even Melina's cliffhangers are done well in a way I can't be mad about (and generally cliff hangers bug me, but it didn't in this).

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.