Thursday, 9 February 2012

Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

Harbinger
Sara Wilson Etienne
G.P. Putnam's Sons BYR
[February 2, 2012]


When sixteen-year-old Faye arrives at Holbrook Academy, she doesn't expect to find herself exactly where she needs to be. After years of strange waking visions and nightmares, her only comfort the bones of dead animals, Faye is afraid she's going crazy. Fast. 

But her first night at Holbrook, she feels strangely connected to the school and the island it sits on, like she's come home. She's even made her first real friends, but odd things keep happening to them. Every morning they wake on the floors of their dorm rooms with their hands stained red. 

Faye knows she's the reason, but what does it all mean? The handsome Kel tries to help her unravel the mystery, but Faye is certain she can't trust him; in fact, he may be trying to kill her - and the rest of the world too. 

Rich, compelling writing will keep the pages turning in this riveting and tautly told psychological thriller.

Let's make one thing clear: This is not my typical read. I read mysteries to an extent, but nothing like this. But I wanted to try something new and a lot of people were excited about this one, so I decided to give it a try.

The characters didn't really stand out to me. They were pretty average characters. They helped tell the story, which was their job, but they aren't very memorable. At times, Faye and Kel actually kind of annoyed me. The way they acted and their reactions...they just didn't always rub me the right way.

The writing was really good though. I was intrigued enough to keep going and I enjoyed how it was told. Their was this awesome map of the grounds and it was very descriptive, allowing me to picture it pretty easily. It flowed well and though I wasn't big on the characters, I had to keep reading.

And the mystery itself? Constant twists and turns and sometimes I would guess things and it'd be wrong and then it'd be right but maybe it's actually wrong. There were all kinds of connections and pieces to the puzzle and some don't even seem relevant until you read it while other times it was made pretty obvious that this seemingly random thing was important.

Overall, it wasn't a bad read. For me, it was average, but this just isn't my usual type of book. But if this is your kind of read? You'll probably love it.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. I actually do love books like this. I have it being delivered ANY DAY now and am really excited about it.

    I have to say thank you for your review. All too often bloggers tear apart a book that simply isn't their genre!

    Amanda @ Letters Inside Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. I loved being surprised. I loved the mystery. I loved the characters. I was disappointed in the very end of the ending, but I was still mostly just impressed. I would look forward to reading more from this author, and I hope she writes more soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.