Thursday, 2 February 2012

Heaven by Christoph Marzi


Heaven
by Christoph Marzi


Release Date (UK): today, I think.

Summary: The night that Heaven lost her heart was cold and moonless. But the blade that sliced it out was warm with her dark blood...

David Pettyfer is taking a shortcut over the dark rooftops of London's brooding houses, when he literally stumbles across Heaven: a strange, beautiful, distraught girl who says that bad men have stolen her heart. Yet she's still alive...

And so begins David and Heaven's wild, exciting and mysterious adventure - to find Heaven's heart, and to discover the incredible truth about her origins.

Part thriller, part love story and part fairy tale, this brilliantly original novel from a bestselling German author will take your breath away...
This book was very odd but very good; I enjoyed reading it.

It wasn't perfect - some parts of it were fast paced and addictive (mainly the scenes with Heaven and David that had dialogue), but there were big chunks of it that were a total drag to get through (often when David was alone or when they weren't talking)... I think it may be because it was often very heavy on descriptions of the setting and that can bore me to tears if there's too much of it.

The plot of the book was very weird and original - I've never read another book like it and parts of it left me with a major "WTF?" feeling but pretty much in a good way. I loved the characters - David was lovely and Heaven was really interesting and them together was probably my favourite part of the book.

The way the book was told was... well, the best way I can think to describe it is this:

You know sometimes someone is telling you about something and then it usually ends with a, "I guess you had to be there" when it's clear you're not getting the full impact of the story? This book felt like that. Some books are told in a way that makes you feel like you're there with the characters - empathizing with them, feeling what they do, totally caught up in what is happening to them - this book wasn't one of them. It felt like, while I liked the characters and enjoyed the story, there was this distance between me and what was going on so it never made me laugh or cry along with the characters, it never got my heart racing at scary bits or anything.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just something I noticed with the book. I cared, but I didn't empathize and I enjoyed it, but I never felt - swept up into the story or emotionally invested in it. It was kind of like a strange modern, urban fable that kept me interested while not being emotionally invested.

I honestly can't think of much else to say about the book - and I know I said it was a good book and that I enjoyed it and then my review seemed more negative than positive, it's just that the negatives are easier to explain while the positives can be summed up in one sentence for me: unique story with likeable characters. That's all I've got.

I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5 (but I think there's a lot of people that will love it, I just prefer a story that's not so heavy on setting descriptions and that allows me to have a strong emotional reaction while reading so it's not one that wowed me).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. What are some quotes from this book?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.