Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Interview with Julianna Baggott, author of PURE

Today we have the fabulous author of Julianna Baggott answering some questions. Her new, post-apocalyptic novel PURE releases tomorrow!


1. Growing up, what did you want to be? If you didn't always want to be a writer, when did you decide on that?
I wanted to be a playwright, but aside from that, I don't know. I liked sports. I liked acting -- though that was taken; my older sister was an actress. I wanted to be a choreographer. 

2. What's on your desk right now?
It's not as messy as it usually is, but there are stacks of papers -- most of which have lists and strange maps and drawings of faces on them. Notes to myself. There's an old aqua fan in a metal cage, too, like from the 1950s; the brand is Eskimo, and someone's clipped a kid's clip-on neck-tie to it. (I've just noticed this now.) 

3. What makes PURE different from other dystopians?
Sometimes dystopian fiction is very idea-driven. I think that PURE is character-driven, and I hope that the world-building feels authentic. 

4. Was there one certain thing that inspired PURE? A book or movie or song?
No. It's 17 million tiny inspirations -- or simply collections of oddities of our own existence, reimagined.  

5. Are there any books you wish you wrote?
Gosh. Great question. I wish I'd written Mother of Pearl by the novelist Mary Morrissey -- it's not a well-known book, but I love it.  

6. What's one thing most people wouldn't guess about you?
I'm very afraid. The novel has a fearlessness to it, I  think. But I walk around pretty terrified.  

7. Can you tell us about what comes after PURE?
FUSE, that's the title of book II. I'm awaiting edits on it. In FUSE, some characters travel far distances. The love stories go deeper. And, inside the Dome, there are a lot of plot twists.  

Thanks so much for stopping by, Julianna. And be sure to check out PURE!
--Julie

2 comments:

  1. The author says she focuses on the "psychologically twisted world of the Dome" and that sounds fascinating! Thanks for this amazing giveaway! This book sounds great and I would love to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The science in Pure is fascinating to consider, as are the social questions the author deftly interweaves within the story. This is a book sure to prompt lots of discussion, and will hold both older teen and adult readers rapt. I don't think I will forget this story, as it stands head and shoulders above a very crowded genre.

    Mica
    Best Reviews for SEO Phoenix website

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.