Saturday, 18 February 2012

Kiss Date Love Hate by Luisa Plaja


Kiss Date Love Hate
by Luisa Plaja


Summary: What if you could change your friends' lives and loves through the settings of a computer game...?

Lex Murphy's group of friends have all dated, hated, ignored and lusted after each other for the last few years. If only there was a way of matching people perfectly to avoid all the unrequited love, dumping and drama!

Then Lex's friend George is given a mysterious Sims-like game by his software-testing dad which involves building character profiles in the categories of Life, Looks and Love. Lex and George populate the game with avatars for all their mates, making a few 'wishful thinking' adjustments to the settings - and find that the next day these tinkerings have come true! But how long can this new calm, loved-up atmosphere continue?
I wish this book had a different cover and title, I probably would've read it sooner if it had (I know, I know, we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover - or title...) - the cover makes it seem shallow and immature and like it's just going to be pure cliche teen chick lit. And it was those things, but it was more than that.

The characters were frequently immature, often annoying and could be pretty shallow - but then, at the same time, they were kind of realistic too. I didn't always like the characters (Drew, Kathryn and Martin were the only ones I consistently liked) but I liked the story, it felt original and was fun to read about.

The friendship with Lex and George was awesome, they made me laugh - espcially George with his boyish comments that seemed to horrify Lex because she sees him as her brother/best friend and not like other boys who think about girls In That Way.

The romance in the book was annoying a lot of the time in the way they often are in books like this - there's a lot of obsessing over the wrong guy/girl, being oblivious to whats right in front of them the whole time, that sort of thing. And again, it's realistic, but annoyingly so. But I was still rooting for the characters to end up with who they ended up with in the end, so that made me happy.

The last part of the book is where the story gets more depth to it - things are hinted at throughout the book and those hints just went right over my head and I was genuinely surprised when the truth came out in the last third of the book and it made me see the characters in a different, more positive, light and I loved that. That last part of the book is what made me like the book more and I really appreciated the way it was written so that I didn't even pick up on the subtle clues throughout the book.

This wasn't the best book in the world, but it was good and I'm really glad I read it and that I was sent it for review - it's probably not a book I'd pick up on my own. Seriously, don't judge it by its cover like I did. I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5 (maybe 4 stars if I was rating it as just a teen chick lit book instead of just in general), it's a really quick read and it's good if you want to read something a bit more light and fun that won't take up too much time.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. damn that cover is horrible. not sure if it's for me. but it seems like you enjoyed as you read along. good to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I put myself back I to the mind of a 15 year old and that helped lol. Have to admit about the cover though... I love the video game esque characters but not the pink!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.