Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Recently Released Covers

Well, technically, these were released last week, but Wednesday has passed.

Through to You
Emily Hainsworth
Balzer + Bray
[October 2, 2012]

Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. Viv was the last good thing in his life: helping him rebuild his identity after a career-ending football injury, picking up the pieces when his home life shattered, and healing his pain long after the pain meds wore off. And now, he’d give anything for one more glimpse of her. But when Cam makes a visit to the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees some kind of apparition. And it isn’t Viv. 

The apparition’s name is Nina, and she’s not a ghost. She’s a girl from a parallel world, and in this world, Viv is still alive. Cam can’t believe his wildest dreams have come true. All he can focus on is getting his girlfriend back, no matter the cost. But things are different in this other world: Viv and Cam have both made very different choices, things between them have changed in unexpected ways, and Viv isn’t the same girl he remembers. Nina is keeping some dangerous secrets, too, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with who this Viv has become, and the part Nina played in his parallel story, he’s forced to choose—stay with Viv or let her go—before the window closes between them once and for all.

How awesome, and kinda creepy, does this sound? And isn't that cover stunning? This also comes out on my parent's anniversary, so...that's not relevant at all.

Defiance
C.J. Redwine
Balzer + Bray
[August 28, 2012]


Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

I've been excited about this book since...before it was actually announced. I really liked C.J., she's really close friends with Myra McEntire, Holly Root is her agent (I tend to love all of Holly's authors), and she said it was fantasy. Then it was announced and I FELL IN LURV with the little description we got. And now...now there's this. This and just...sweet Jesus. I will beg and bribe for this book. I swear I will.

Ten
Gretchen McNeil
Balzer+Bray
[September 18, 2012]

 And their doom comes swiftly.

It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives – three days on Henry Island at an exclusive house party. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their own reasons for wanting to be there, both of which involve Kamiak High’s most eligible bachelor, T.J. Fletcher. But what starts out as a fun-filled weekend turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly, people are dying and the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

 I really, really enjoyed Possess by Gretchen last year and now this? It's not my usual type of read, but I'm intrigued. Very intrigued. Though I might have to wait until a few reviews come out so I know it's not TOO scary for me and my wimpiness.


 The Lost Girl
Sangu Mandanna
Balzer + Bray
[August 28, 2012]

Eva's life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination - an echo. Made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, she is expected to replace a girl named Amarra, her 'other', if she ever died. Eva studies what Amarra does, what she eats, what it's like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready.

But fifteen years of studying never prepared her for this.

Now she must abandon everything she's ever known - the guardians who raised her, the boy she's forbidden to love - to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive.
 Guys. I don't even know how to respond to this book. I just don't. It sounds SO FREAKING PERFECT.


Shadow and Bone
Leigh Bardugo
Henry Holt & Co.
[June 5, 2012]

Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near-impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one unlikely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life– a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha… and the secrets of her heart.

I actually have this one from Netgalley, but tell me that cover isn't gorgeous. I might've raved about it for several minutes to the author. And obviously, this is my type of book (by time you read this, I'll have probably read it because I lack self control when it comes to books.)

So, which ones stand out to you?

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. Because certain image sources are blocked on the PC I am using at the moment I can only see the cover for Through to You but it is certainly a very gorgeous cover. I've also already seen the cover for Defiance and can comment on that one too. I also love it, the girl looks ready to kick some rear ends :). Have you seen the cover for Echoes and Embers by Karsten Knight? I know it was revealed early in Feb but I only saw it yesterday. I loves it ^_^.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for Smoke & Bone! And Through to You sounds amazing---and that cover is my favorite of the recent releases! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOVE the cover for The Lost Girl. I love the others, but The Lost Girl ranks high on my list. It's SO, SO pretty and I would beg and bribe and give up limbs for that book. I hope it's worth it, ha! ;)

    My WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow ALL of those sound amazing! Especially Ten and Defiance! Definitely adding all of them to my TBR pile.

    Julia @ That Hapa Chick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for Through To You! I've had the pleasure of meeting Emily Hainsworth, and learned that one of the characters has the exact same name as my maiden name!:D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.