Monday, 19 March 2012

Dead Rules by Randy Russell


Dead Rules
by Randy Russell


Release date (UK): 29th of March 2012

Summary: When Jana Webster dies in a tragic accident, she finds herself transferred to 'Dead School' in the afterlife, where students fall into distinct cliques. Risers (good kids who died innocently), Sliders (bad kids, who have one foot tied to earth) and Virgins (there are fewer than Jana would expect).

Jana's boyfriend and love of her life - Michael - is still in the land of the living. Michael is Romeo to Jana's Juliet and as the story goes... even death can't keep them apart. Tired of waiting for him to kill himself over his grief of losing her, Jana decides she needs to do it for him.

To kill Michael she'll need the help of a dangerous and sexy Slider - Mars Dreamcoate. But Mars has a goal of his own: he wants to save a life to atone for having taken one in a drunk-driving accident. And to complicate matters, he was trying to save Jana when she died and saw what was really going on when her 'accident' happened. Jana decides to do whatever it takes to get Michael back, and nothing - not even Mars' warm touch or the devastating secret he holds about her death - will stop her.
I really, really liked this book, it was so cute and fun and wonderfully weird with quirky characters that made me laugh.

I liked the main character, Jana, a lot - she frustrated me quite a bit, because of the way she is with things to do with her boyfriend but that's only because it's blantantly obvious to the reader pretty much from the first few chapters that the person Jana thinks he is and the relationship she thinks they had don't quite match up to the reality of them and so waiting for her to figure that out does kind of make me want to reach into the book and shake some sense into her... but for the most part, I really liked her, she was funny and interesting and willing to fight for what she wants.

Mars and Wyatt were awesome, they were my favourite characters but the other characters at Dead School were great too with all of their little quirks. Considering the fact that the majority of the characters were teenagers who died tragically, it surprised me how funny and not even remotely depressing the characters were.

I loved the world, it was really original and the dynamics of dead school was really interesting (loved the whole virgins/grays/sliders/risers thing and the way the dead people were catagorized).

The book feels pretty short and there's quite a few things left unanswered but for some reason that didn't bother me at all (it normally would) - it felt like we were given just enough of everything (just enough back stories of the characters, just enough funny, just enough cuteness, just enough romance - it was the right balance of everything and that makes a nice change from books that usually leave me feeling like I wanted more).

The only negative that comes to mind is the predictability of some of the story - it's obvious from the start who the bad guys are, who the good guys will be, Mars' motives for doing the things he does, what Jana will plan to do and roughly how things will work out, how the romance is going to play out (although, that was a really subtle part of the book, it didn't feel like reading a romance)... there wasn't too much in the book that surprised me or didn't turn out the way I guessed it would from the first few chapters. But - it wasn't something that bothered me, I enjoyed reading the book anyway and was never bored while reading.

And I think that's all I have to say. The book was a fun, quick read and I really recommend it if you want something lighter and a little different from the usual paranormal books. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.