Thursday, 8 March 2012

The Demon Trappers: Forgiven by Jana Oliver

Note: This is book 3 in a series. My review is spoiler-free but the summary of the book will have spoilers for the first 2.
The Demon Trappers: Forgiven
by Jana Oliver


Summary: The days are growing darker for 17-year-old demon trapper Riley Blackthorne. With her father’s reanimated body back safely, Beck barely speaking to her because of a certain hunky Fallen angel, and a freshly-made deal with Lucifer, she has enough on her hands to last a normal teenage lifetime. Though she bargained with Heaven to save his life, her ex-boyfriend Simon has told the Vatican’s Demon Hunters that she’s working with Hell. So now she’s in hiding, at the top of everyone’s most-wanted list.

But it’s becoming clear that this is bigger than Riley, and rapidly getting out of control: something sinister is happening in Atlanta… or someone. The demons are working together for the first time ever and refusing to die, putting civilians in harm’s way. Riley thinks she might know who’s behind it all, but who’s going to believe her? Caught between her bargain with Heaven and her promise to Lucifer, Riley fears the final war is coming – and it may be closer than anyone thinks…
I love this series. Seriously, there is only one thing that I don't like about these books (and it has been mentioned in the reviews of book 1 and 2)...one thing, out of three whole books.

The setting is brilliant - it has this awesome dystopian urban fantasy feel to it, like it's easy to imagine the world being that way, it doesn't feel so far fetched even though there's angels and demons running around and it has the best parts of what I love about dystopian books and what I love about supernatural books.

And the characters... *happy sigh* they're awesome. The good ones are great and the bad ones are the kind you love to hate and wish were real just so you could hit them with the book. I love Beck and Riley, they screw up and they'll say the wrong things and do the wrong things but their intentions are good and all those screw ups just make them feel more real and easy to love and I really like all the side characters too. Except for Justine and Simon - they're awful (in the love-to-hate kind of way).

The romance in this book is my favourite of all three books - it wasn't the focus of the story and it was subtle but it's what I've been waiting to start to happen from reading the first chapter of book one and I can't wait to read the next book to see where it goes. 

The thing I don't like: the accents. Stewart is Scottish and Beck has a Southern accent and the accents are written phonetically and it bugs the hell out of me - especially Stewarts, it just sounds so wrong when I read it, like the pronunciation is off and the Scottish slang terms are used in the wrong context and stuff (being Scottish, when I read a Scottish accent, it should not sound wrong to me - because it's my accent).

But yeah, that's the only thing that bugged me, but it's one of my writing pet peeves and I can't stand when writers do that - the fact that I continue to read this series and love it in spite of that says a lot. 

Anyway, yeah, I love these books. I wish I had the next one so I could read it now. I think once I'm done with this series I'll check out some of her other books.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read the first to- so I skipped right over the summary lol. But your review really makes me want to snatch them up right now! hmm the accent thing would definitely bug me if I were in the same boat, very understandable. I have read a few books where the accent just felt wrong *Even though I have no cool accent* So i'm interested to see what my thought's are when it comes to this book! thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.