Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Fateful by Claudia Gray


Fateful
by Claudia Gray


Release date (UK): 29th of March 2012

Summary: The RMS Titanic is the most luxurious ship ever built, but for eighteen-year-old Tess Davies it’s a prison. Travelling as a maid for the family she has served for years, Tess is trapped in their employ amid painful memories and family secrets.

When she meets Alec, a handsome upper class passenger, Tess falls helplessly in love. But Alec has secrets of his own… and soon Tess is entangled in a dangerous game. A sinister brotherhood that will do anything to induct Alec into their mystical order has followed him onboard. And Tess is now their most powerful pawn.

Tess and Alec fight the dark forces threatening to tear them apart, never realising that they will have to face an even greater peril before the journey is over…
I really loved this book. I kind of wanted to read it purely because it mentioned Titanic...and mixed Titanic with werewolves - definitely sounded like a mix for awesome (or disaster, but awesome won).

It's set in a time that simultaneously fascinates me and makes me want to punch someone - I dunno what it is about that time period, if it's the novelty of it because it's so different to how we live now or if it's the pretty dresses or the way things like love and friendship were so different because they had more things standing in their way than now...but I love reading books set in this era. And I hate them too because the way women are treated and the class distinctions makes me all - rage-y.

But yeah, I loved the setting and it still had all the things that infuriate me about that time to keep it historically accurate - the classes, the judgemental people, the sexist attitude... but that made me like the book more because, while it angers me, it meant that the main character was way more bad ass because she wasn't just standing up for herself and the people she cared about, she was standing up against society and the messed up attitudes people had back then towards women, especially lower class women.

Tess was awesome. She was saved, but she did a lot of saving too. She wasn't just a damsel in distress and I totally got swept up in her story, I was rooting for her to get what she wants out of life and at the same time, I felt almost as trapped as she did just by seeing her life through her eyes - she's had it drummed into her head that she's not as good as the first class *ladies* and that she can't be with the person she wants to be with because of what society would think (among other things)... a female character being strong and independent is awesome, but it's even more awesome given the circumstances of her time.

The romance was adorable, I'm not sure if there was anything special about it but I loved it because I loved Tess and Alec - his character was awesome too. Most of the characters were - I loved the side characters, even the ones I loved to hate like Lady Regina and Mikhail.

The Titanic aspect was one of the main things making me want to read the book and it didn't play nearly as big a part as I thought it was going to - it felt like the Titanic was just the setting and that the plot didn't really focus on the sinking. I forgot they were on the Titanic most of the time but while I read it wanting and expecting a Titanic book with a twist, I wasn't disappointed with that not being as big a part as I was hoping it would be.

The werewolf thing... I don't have much to say about that. It definitely kept things interesting and was a really original twist on a story pretty much everyone has heard of. There's still some questions I have about the supernatural aspect of the story but I was happy with the amount of information we were given, it was just enough.

I like that it didn't feel disrespectful and didn't really use any real people as part of the plot. There were names mentioned and one character who has actual dialogue but they weren't pawns manipulated for a fictional story, they were just like little cameos to remind you where the story is set.

And I'll shut up now, but the book was awesome. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars. :)

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.