Saturday, 24 March 2012

Historic Saturday (4): Cross My Heart by Sasha Gould

Cross My Heart
Sasha Gould
Random House Children's Books
[March 13, 2012]

Venice, 1585.
When 16-year-old Laura della Scala learns that her older sister, Beatrice, has drowned, she is given no time to grieve. Instead, Laura's father removes her from the convent where he forcibly sent her years earlier and orders her to marry Beatrice's fiancĂ©, a repulsive old merchant named Vincenzo. Panicked, Laura betrays a powerful man to earn her way into the Segreta, a shadowy society of women who deal in only one currency—secrets. The Segreta seems like the answer to Laura's prayers. The day after she joins their ranks, Vincenzo is publicly humiliated and conveniently exiled. Soon, however, Laura begins to suspect that her sister's death was not a tragic accident but a cold-blooded murder—one that might involve the Segreta and the women she has come to trust.
To be honest, I wasn't crazy about Cross My Heart.

It wasn't bad, not in the slightest. This book and I just didn't click. Despite being relatively short, Cross My Heart seemed to drag on for me. While I knew it was a murder mystery, secret society type book, I was looking for more romance than I got.

Laura's a pretty forgettable main character. 10 days after finishing, I really can't tell you much about her. I know she was in a convent but she didn't really fit in and I can tell you she frequently lost patience with her day, the Segreta, her love interest...all of them. She was just a vehicle to tell the story.

The writing was good, but it never really caught my attention. I was never drawn into Cross My Heart, despite all the little plots weaving into the one story. None of the story lines really intrigued me the way I needed.

I'm sure some people will love this book and the setting and everything about it, but this book wasn't for me for a variety of reasons, none of which I can really place on the book. I strongly recommend giving Cross My Heart a try or, at the very least, going to pet the cover in person because it's gorgeous.

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Cross My Heart was a great historical young adult novel. I enjoyed it immensely. It was addicting and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.