Thursday, 29 March 2012

The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

The Last Echo
by Kimberly Derting


Release Date (UK): 29th of March 2012

Summary: Violet has always kept her strange ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and best-friend-turned-boyfriend Jay. But now she's using her gift to help track down murderers, working in a group that includes the mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl murdered by "the girlfriend collector", she is determine to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet seems to have caught his eye...

So I loved the first two books in this series, but this one beat them both and is my favourite of the three, it was awesome.

This series is just a brilliant mix of loveable, realistic characters, cute romance, mystery and a cool supernatural twist that manages to feel still grounded in reality instead of being the kind of supernatural that feels like an entirely different world to ours.

I think what I liked most about The Last Echo is that I was more invested in the mystery aspect of the plot - in the first book, we were still getting to know the characters and the world and the romance was still developing and the second book was sort of the same and even if the romance wasn't the focus, I was more focussed on that part, but this one? While I still adore the cute romance, because it felt natural and all set I never felt like I had that "will they or won't they end up together?" feeling that so many books have... and that was nice, because I'm usually so caught up in the romance of a story that the rest is overshadowed and that didn't happen here.

The supernatural aspect of the book is great, it's really original and I love the way Violets power isn't used to make her into this... supergirl. She's just like a normal girl and this power she has, it's like a gift and a curse and it's useful in some ways but it has its limits (and this is one of those rare YA books where it feels like the parents are actually present and, well, parent) - and even though it's really weird, reading about it was believable and had me almost believing that people like her, with her power could actually exist.

I can't really talk about the plot/mystery thing without giving spoilers, but I liked that part in this one best out of all three books and the additional characters were great and finding out more about the new characters that were introduced in book two (Rafe and Krystal are awesome).

Since I've mentioned Rafe - I love the relationship he has with Violet and this is one of those rare books where I was actually rooting for two guys to get the girl and I really wouldn't have minded either way which one did but at the same time, it never felt love triangle-ish, which was great.

Anyway, I'm sort of half asleep and ill right now, so I apologize if this review has been rambling - but I really recommend this book/this series, they're awesome and it's rare for me to find a series where the sequels can totally top the rest of the series put together but this book did that for me. I'd give it 5 stars out of 5 probably.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I had high hopes for the third installment in the Body Finder series, The Last Echo. It's a great read even though I was expecting more romance than suspense for Violet Mathers. The last book hinted at a love triangle between the heroine, her life-long friend, and her new crime-fighting partner. I mean, there was some speculation and idle thoughts about the possibility throughout this book, but it didn't take center stage to the overall story. I guess that I'm too used to young adult books being all about the romance drama than the actual events surrounding the characters. The Last Echo turned out to be a fresh breeze among the rows of teenage love stories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.