Monday, 12 March 2012

Legacy by Cayla Kluver


Legacy
by Cayla Kluver


Summary: In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.When the palace guard captures an intruder a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy, Alera is alarmed...and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.

So I really liked this book, a lot more than I thought I would.

I had some issues with it - well, they weren't so much issues as they were things that prevented me from loving the book and kept it in the like-zone.

I wasn't fond of the writing, it's just not the kind of style I'm into (description heavy when it comes to clothes and rooms and that sort of thing and kind of dialogue light, or at least it felt that way and it's not a short book).

And it was kind of slow paced and hardly ever felt like anything was happening, more like we were just going along for the ride in the day-to-day life of the main character and even when something eventful happened, it never felt - exciting or urgent or anything like that.

I like high fantasy stories that feel epic, like Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta, but this one never felt epic. The world never really felt like another world (and the names of the places kind of bugged the hell out of me - Hytanica and Cokyri).

The main character... sometimes I liked her, but a lot of the time she frustrated me, she seemed like a pushover and wouldn't speak her mind often, she hardly ever seemed to stand up for herself against her father or Steldor - she was kind of a doormat half of the time and then in the moments where she did stand up for herself or break the rules, I'd think she was awesome...but then she'd go right back to being the way she was before. I think that may have been done intentionally considering the way women are treated in her kingdom is an issue that is kind of acknowledged in the book but it is frustrating to read.

Steldor drove me nuts but I liked him and I liked Narian and London and some of the other characters too - I think the characters were one of the things I liked best about the book.

I know this review is mostly negative, but that's because I genuinely don't know why I liked the book, I just know why I didn't love it. It kept me entertained and even when it felt slow paced or like nothing was happening, I still kept reading, I never even considered having it be a DNF book and halfway through reading the book, I ordered the sequel knowing I'd want to read it. So in spite of the negatives, I still enjoyed reading the book and want to continue the series, which is obviously a good sign.

I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5, I think (nearer the end, it became closer to a 4 but overall, 3.5). Entertaining and I think if someone is into historical fiction then they might like it even more than I did.

Later.

p.s. The cover in the review is the cover I own and it's gorgeous - it's the reason I wanted the book in the first place, the way it's made is lovely. But it has since had a cover redesign and the new ones are more generic - the new covers are more fitting for the story, but I like the one I have so much better (it just sucks that my series won't match now). New cover:



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.