Monday, 5 March 2012

Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore

*Spoilers for Magic Under Glass beyond*

Magic Under Stone
Jaclyn Dolamore
Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
[February 28, 2012]

For star-crossed lovers Nimira and Erris, there can be no happily ever after until Erris is freed from the clockwork form in which his soul is trapped. And so they go in search of the sorcerer Ordorio Valdana, hoping he will know how to grant Erris real life again.
When they learn that Valdana has mysteriously vanished, it's not long before Nimira decides to take matters into her own hands—and begins to study the sorcerer's spell books in secret.
Yet even as she begins to understand the power and limitations of sorcery, it becomes clear that freeing Erris will bring danger—if not out-and-out war—as factions within the faerie world are prepared to stop at nothing to prevent him from regaining the throne.
This review's kinda hard for me.

I was super excited about getting a sequel to Magic Under Glass because I loved that book so much. But I think my expectations were too high. I was expecting something...different. And I did really enjoy this book and it was really good, but I let myself get TOO excited, which rarely happens and kind of shocked me.

I think my main problem was Erris. While I understood his behavior, it bothered me how closed off he was. I really just wanted Nimira and Erris to have some happiness after all their problems, but it wasn't happening and it kind of irritated me. And it made Nimira miserable and I simply can't be okay with Nimira being unhappy, the dear girl.

Otherwise? This book really was fantastic. I loved how strong Nimira was and how she wouldn't just give up, no matter how the others felt. The other characters we meet were interesting and different and well developed. The book took a lot of twists and turns that I loved. The ending was really amazing and fitting too. Jaclyn really knows how to tell a story. It's magical and beautiful and just...wonderful.

Let this review be a warning to you: Don't start imagining the exact events of a book. Because then it can lead to disappointment and take away your enjoyment of an excellent book. I think I'm going to reread this one now that I have a better idea of what goes on and I think I'll enjoy it even more then.

But really, this is a great book and a perfect sequel. My silly imaginings took away some of the awesome for me, but that was my own fault. This is definitely one to pick up! And if you're reading this and you haven't read Magic Under Glass (*wags finger of shame at you*), you best be picking that one up too!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. I remember enjoying the first book too. But there was one aspect of it that was just tacked in there, and it put me off.

    Still not sure if I'll read the second book, but great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.