Monday, 16 April 2012

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green


An Abundance of Katherines
by John Green


Summary: When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl. Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.
 I've found that with John Green books, I'm really not good at getting specific, my reviews of his books usually just turn into...general fangirling of his books and I can't seem to review one of his books without comparisons to the others (maybe because his previous books have set my expectations so high that the way I judge them is by measuring them up to the standards set by the ones I read before it).

This was my least favourite John Green book (and the only one I hadn't read even though it's been on my shelf since it was released), but I still loved it and enjoyed it way more than most other books I read, and it still proved that he most definitely deserves his spot in my Top 5 Favourite Authors list (maybe even top 3, along with J K Rowling and Melina Marchetta).

The protagonist was the least likeable (to me, at least) out of all his protagonists and the plot was the least appealing to me (or maybe not so much the plot but the maths thing and all the stuff with the Katherine's and Colins theorum) - but I still enjoyed reading it.

It still had the things that I love about John Green books: intelligent characters who are nerdy and awesome, things that made me laugh out loud multiple times (surprisingly, not many books can make me do that), and lovely writing that I'm incredibly jealous of. The book was, as John's books tend to be when I finish them, filled with loads of scraps of paper to mark quotes that I adored and would like to write down or post on tumblr or just re-read later.

I loved Hassan (hilarious, I wish he was real and in my life) and Lindsay and Hollis and even Colin, although he bugged me so much sometimes that I wanted him to be real just so I would have the joy of yelling some sense into him (or trying to) and I love the town and all of the little characters who were introduced and just...I loved it and I really, really liked the ending because most of his other books kind of break my heart a little (or in some cases, a lot) but this one didn't.

So yeah... it was my least favourite of all his books (favourite will probably always be Looking for Alaska, purely because that was the first one I read so it has more sentimental value, with The Fault in Our Stars being a close second with it's ability to make me feel like all of my emotions were put through a shredder and handed back to me for me to try and put myself back together again), but it was still a really good book and ticked all the boxes that make his books so awesome. I'd rate it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

And that's all I can think to say about it (sorry if this review sucked - I'm not good at reviewing books I really liked).

Later.

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read a John Green book! Sorry that this didn't shine among the others for you. I also find it hard to write a review about a book I loved.. wierd, huh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this one ... it was wonderful, but not my favourite John Green book. Of course, it's way up there in my favourite pile! I wonder if it would've been different since I listened to the audiobook, rather than actually reading it.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review :) Here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/abundance-of-katherines-by-john-green.html Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one John Green book that I haven't read yet and this review just makes me want to read it even more!
    I totally get why you find it hard to review books that you like. It's so difficult to find the right words to convey how much you like the book sometimes! Even so, great review :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers[heart]Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.