Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Author Appreciation Blog Tour - Myra McEntire



Some of you may have noticed that Hourglass is one of my favorite books of all time and I adore Myra McEntire. Some of you may wonder "Well, what's so great about Myra?"

Let's start with the writing. Obviously, I loved Hourglass. I've read it...3 times now. The idea of a fourth isn't ruled out. I own two copies, my ARC and my finished copy. I've also debated buying a third when I see it in an indie. Maybe love is an understatement now that I think about it...

Myra's writing is genius, simply put. Her love story is one of my favorites ever and the story itself is just as astounding. It was twisty and turny and it sucks me in every time. Every character was unique and intriguing and important. And I could keep going on and on, but I'll just link you to all the posts where I go on and on about it instead.

Myra's also one of the sweetest people. Ever. Some of you may know that I'm going to college in the fall, so this year's been full of applications and scholarships galore. Well....I'm really bad with scholarship deadlines. So, one night I was going through, found one due the next day that I was pretty sure I could win because there wouldn't be many entrants but I needed two recommendation letters and I was doubtful I could get the ones from my teachers during the day before handing it in. Then our dear Myra wrote one for me. In like 12 hours. If you've never asked for a recommendation letter before, usually you have to give at least two week's notice. And she wrote me one in twelve hours. 

I recently found out that I'm probably going to get that scholarship.

And that's just one example of her kindness and generosity. Myra was also one of the minds behind Do the Write Thing for Nashville in 2010. After massive flooding in Nashville, Myra and two other authors organized this auction in a few days to raise money for flood relief.

Myra's a really, really busy person. She has a family to take care of, books to edit, books to draft, books to read for her critique partners. But she still finds time to talk to people on twitter. She still finds time to do interviews. She still finds time to be very active in the YA community. She still finds time to worry about, help, and befriend a dorky, insecure teenage girl who's unimportant in the grand scheme of things and obsessed with her book.

So, now I encourage you, my lovelies, to comment on this post with why you love Myra or Hourglass or Timepiece. Or, if you don't want to comment, tweet her (@MyraMcEntire) with the hash tag #authorlove because she could use all the love and support she can get.

Or you can go learn more about how awesome Myra is at these blogs:

--Julie

13 comments:

  1. You pointed out something that I neglected to mention...her charitable, giving heart. Do the Write Thing for Nashville went viral because she wouldn't stop until she got the message out that people needed help...even when the major news outlets weren't covering the story. Great post for a great person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love this!!! You are fabulous, Julie. I hope you embrace that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Julie--what a great story about Myra's recommendation for you. Congratulations on the scholarship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie is insanely smart and sweet and any school would be LUCKY to have her.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love this post. I had no idea she did that for you. That is AWESOME. Just another reason why the first AABT should go to Myra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I didn't know about the recommendation, that was so lovely of her.

    Anyway, there's not much I can say except that I think she's a fantastic author and I wish I had even a fraction of the talent she does. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! Hard work and willingness to learn trumps talent any day!

      Delete
  6. that is so sweet. I saw your tweet on twitter and couldn't help but smile when you seemed so happy. So yay you! I hope you get that scholarship. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  7. ONE MORE THING.

    NEXT TIME I HEAR YOU SAY YOU'RE UNIMPORTANT, IMMA COME OVER THERE AND WE'RE GOING TO HAVE WORDS.

    YOU. ARE. EPIC.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.