Saturday, 7 April 2012

Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty

Feeling Sorry for Celia
by Jaclyn Moriarty


Summary: Life is pretty complicated for Elizabeth Clarry. Her best friend Celia keeps disappearing, her absent father suddenly reappears, and her communication with her mother consists entirely of wacky notes left on the fridge. On top of everything else, because her English teacher wants to rekindle the "Joy of the Envelope," a Complete and Utter Stranger knows more about Elizabeth than anyone else.

But Elizabeth is on the verge of some major changes. She may lose her best friend, find a wonderful new friend, kiss the sexiest guy alive, and run in a marathon.

So much can happen in the time it takes to write a letter...

Dear Alanna,


After finishing this book, there are a few questions that I feel you should answer. The first is, why the hell did it take you so freaking long to read this book? It sat there on your shelf with its bright blue and yellow cover looking all lonely, waiting to be read, and you just kept putting it off over and over and over again - why?


The second question is this: why are there only two Jaclyn Moriarty books on your shelf? Why do you not own every book she's written? I suggest you do something about that in the foreseeable future.


Sincerely,
Also Alanna
P.S. Why can't you be as talented as she is? I demand that you write until your writing gets good or until your fingers fall off - whichever happens first, I'm not too concerned which because you don't really deserve the privilige of having fingers if you don't get better at writing. 

Um. Yeah. So I love this book and I wasn't expecting to love it (which may be a part of the reason I loved it so much: I have a lot of respect for writers who can make me like something that would otherwise annoy me). It is told through a series of letters and that's not my kind of thing...at least, it wasn't until I read this book. Now, I know that, if it is written by Jaclyn Moriarty, books told through a series of letters is definitely my kind of thing. If the phone book was written by Jaclyn Moriarty then that would probably also be my kind of thing.

So right now, my nose is all blocked and ew, and my throat feels like I ate broken glass for dinner and my head--not wanting to be left out of the *fun*--decided to let a bunch of tiny, tiny people use my brain as a trampoline. And I have wisdom teeth coming through still and my eyes hurt as well. Basically, from the shoulders up: I hurt. And yet I read this book start to finish in one sitting in spite of the fact it made my eyes and headache hurt even more and I even put off taking more pain killers for another hour to finish the book.

It was just so cute and funny and I laughed out loud a bunch of times and when I wasn't laughing, I was smiling and when I finished, I was torn between writing a gushing review about the book, reading the other book of hers that I have, or writing a letter to my best friend because the book put me in the mood to write letters. (Clearly, the review won. The other two will happen, but will have to wait.)

I loved the characters and I didn't think I'd be able to connect to characters through letters in the same way as a more traditional story format but I did and Christina was awesome and Elizabeth was awesome and her mum was hilarious and Anonymous boy was lovely and yeah...I'll stop now. I think that's enough gushing for one review.

This book was exactly what I needed right now, because I feel like hell and have been in a weird crying mood for days and a total reading funk but it got me reading and smiling again. I'd rate it 4.5 stars out of 5 (what is it with Aussie YA authors that make them so awesome?).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love Jaclyn Moriarty. I've read the next 2 books in this series (Finding Cassie Crazy or The Year of Secret Assignments (UK/US) and The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie) and they were both quite different but still so good. I have the next one on my shelf (The Ghosts of Ashbury High) and I really need to read it!

    Great review! And feel better!
    Chloe @ YA Booklover Blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.