Monday, 30 April 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

I actually got the book a while ago (and I was one of the Amity UK faction leaders, which made me smile), but the reviews couldn't go up until after it was out. The cover in this post is the new UK cover (which is nice, but I adored the original covers so I prefer the other version). :) 

Insurgent 
by Veronica Roth 

Summary: War looms in sixteen-year-old Tris’s dark dystopian world as disputes between the factions grow. Tris must now fight against all odds to discover the truth that can save her and the people she loves. Sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge – and the choices she makes will have devastating and unexpected consequences.
I absolutely loved the first book and I'd seen quite a lot of people say that Insurgent was even better - I'm not sure if I agree with that, but it is definitely awesome and as good as the first book (but in different ways).

The characters were a big thing I loved about Divergent, but in this one - while that is still true - my favourite characters who were still present were more annoying in this book and I kept wanting to reach into the book to whack them upside the head for making stupid choices... but, it's weird, because the way that they annoyed me just made them more realistic and made me like the book more instead of less.

Basically: still loved the characters, even when I thought they were being idiots and Tris is such a bad ass protagonist. Characters I loved to hate totally made me want to punch them (this is a good thing), some characters changed my opinion and jumped from my Nay list to my Yay list and there were a few new additions that I really liked too.

I only really had one notable issue with the first book (the Will thing), but this book totally resolved that because even the characters acknowledged the issue I had with that and reacted accordingly and while I'm still not into that aspect of the first book, I really liked how the fallout of it was handled.

I said this book was awesome in a different way to Divergent and that's kind of hard to explain. With Divergent, I guess it was more of an OMG-wow!-lovelovelove! swept up in the story kind of feeling but the plot in this one was more shocking and desperate and it still had the world and the characters that I loved from the first book but was like seeing this whole other side to them...and I loved it, but like I said, it felt different to the first book.

Favourite thing about the book: the ending (and when I say ending, I mean the last 100-ish pages). I can't talk about it because of spoilers, obviously, but that part of the book kind of pushed it from hovering around the 4 stars out of 5 mark to closer to 5. And also kind of made me want to hurl the book across the room in outrage at the fact the next book seems forever away and with an ending like that, I want the next book now. :(

And I think that's enough rambling for one review: this series is one of my favourites and definitely top three favourite dystopian YA series' (of which there are loads now, but this one is so much better than most).

Later.

p.s. there is a crumb or something lodged under my g key so if there's any missing g-related typos in this post.. sorry 'bout that.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I felt similarly to you for the majority of the book. Bring on the third instalment! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review! I can't wait for this sequel. I really hope - for me - that this book is EPIC compared to Divergent. Especially since a lot of reviewers are praising and bowing to this book alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm eargerly anticipating this one.

    I hope it is just as good as or better than Divergent because I'm ready for a roller coaster ride. Going to B&N this weekend to buy a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was awesome, wasn't it! I agree with what you say about the character issues actually making the book better - Roth writes so realistically. Not entirely sure about the ending but am intrigued by the twist!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers[heart]Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.