Wednesday, 25 April 2012

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa



The Iron King
by Julie Kagawa


Summary: Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Generally, I don't like books about fae/fay/faeries (however you'd like to spell it) and there are few exceptions. I'm not sure what it is about them--whether it's the world, the courts, the nature of fae, their usual attitudes to humans or the word games and manipulations and tricks, I dunno--but usually, I don't like stories where fae are the focus (unless it's fae in our world instead of showing theirs too, but even then...).

I loved this book. The fact that it was a book about fae and I still loved it? Impressive. The fact that it was a book about fae, mostly set in the fae world, and I still loved it? Even more impressive. I really, really wish I had a read it sooner; everyone kept saying how awesome it is and I've had it on my shelves for ages but the fae aspect of it had me putting it off.

It's 5:41am right now so I kind of can't think of much to say about the book really and I don't think that will change later. Plot? Loved it, never bored me. Characters? Awesome, particularly Grim, Puck and Ash (can I please keep Puck and Ash?). Romance? Adored it, it didn't dominate the book and it seemed to be setting up for a love triange in future books but this is one of those rare times that it doesn't bug me because it was done well and I genuinely don't know which character I'd be rooting for because I love them both (I do hope they consider just having a polyamorous relationship really if it goes down the love triangle path, that way everyone wins - but I doubt that'd happen).

Really, if I try to think of negative things about the book, there is hardly any and they're trivial at best (like the fact that Meghan refers to her brother as her "half brother" so often instead of just her brother, or that her mum calls her step dad Meghans father - but those are just little irritations based on personal reasons,  or the fact that some names didn't ever stop sounding silly, like the "Nevernever"). The only big-ish thing that bugged me was that Meghan seemed weak too often for my liking and always seemed to need to be rescued - I kept wishing she had a bit more fight in her (beyond just determination to save someone), but there was a turning point and she got pretty bad ass in spite of the odds being against her and I ended up liking her character even more for how much she grew and how different she was from in the beginning.

Anyway, loved the book, it'd get 4.5 stars out of 5 (maybe even 5...probably closer to 5 actually) and I really wish I had the sequels to read right now. I'm on a book buying ban but I may have to break it soon to get the next books that are released.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading this series a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I didn't really even get into it until halfway through the first book. However by the end of The Iron King I was hooked! I'm now on The Iron Queen and still loving it! And don't worry...Meghan gets much stronger as the series progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book so long ago, but it's still a favourite of mine. Julie Kagawa's writing just seems to work for me, I guess, as I've never once had a totally awful experience with any of her books.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.