Monday, 21 May 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

There are some spoilers in this review for the sake of giving examples. Some details and a couple of non-spoilery scenes are discussed.

Of Poseidon
Anna Banks
Feiwel and Friends
[May 22, 2012]

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
I was sure I was going to love this one, I really was. Mermaids! A release date on Boy's birthday! Pretty cover! Macmillian as a publisher! Super nice author! So much potential!

I was really, really let down.

Emma and Galen were okay on their own. Most of the time. But as a couple? They had a horrible relationship. He would request that she do something reasonable. Example: She had a stalker they could sense in the water. He asks her to stay out of the water when he's not there. Does she listen? Not only does she not listen, she gets angry at him. She yells at him. This isn't the only instance where this happens. I'm happy that a female character wants to be independent but...really?

And Galen? Galen also has issues. He's ridiculously over protective. There's this part where he's texting and calling Emma repeatedly and she's deliberately ignoring it because she's on a date and she's mad at Galen. So, he then follows her on her date. Which is going to take place an hour away. And he threatens harm repeatedly to Emma's date for being a nice guy and telling her she doesn't have to go with Galen. By time Galen gets Emma home, they're a couple again. That's not okay. You don't stalk people. It especially bothered me because the reason he was bothering her wasn't time sensitive. Her grandma wasn't dying and he wasn't trying to bring her to the hospital.

There's also a lack of logic in this book. For example, it's established pretty early on that Emma can talk to fish. It's something she's aware of basically from the time she finds out she's a Syrena. Talking requires oxygen. But there's a couple instances where Emma mentions being afraid to not hold her breath underwater and they're always mentioning how she's learning endurance for holding her breath. I'm not sure how you can talk and hold your breath at the same time.

There was also this alternation is perspective. First person for Emma, but third person for Galen. It was kind of confusing and kind of annoying going back and forth. I don't mind switching characters, but I like my books in first OR third, not both.

Despite all this, it wasn't a totally horrible book for me. I did really like two of the side characters, Rachel and Toraf, and I would love to read more about them. I also liked the idea of this story. What the summary doesn't mention is that there are two kingdoms and because Emma is of Poseidon, she's supposed to marry the king of the other kingdom and the king happens to be Galen's older brother, Grom. And he has to marry Emma because the girl before her who was of Poseidon - and also Grom's love - died years before in a mine accident. I found that pretty interesting. Is Emma really going to have to marry Grom? If not, who will he have to marry? The ending was also a really big cliffhanger that made me want book 2 desperately. I kind of wish I had decided not to finish this book because now I really want to make it through the next one despite how much it'll annoy me.

So...yeah. Of Poseidon was not the right book for me...but I might be picking up book 2 anyway.

Positive Reviews:

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. I have 0 desire to read this one, though I can't say why. Maybe it's just the mermaids. I mean, MERMAIDS. idk. Sorry to hear you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Galen was too aggressive for my tastes (and probably should be for most people!). His overprotectiveness really got on my nerves. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading this right now and I like Galen enough, as a separate person. When he's around Toraf mostly. He isn't (so far) so bad around Emma, but I haven't gotten to the stalking part yet so we'll see... I love Toraf. Rayna has really grown on me. I was so confused with the first/third person but I was too lazy to check lol. Also, I'm a little disappointed this (so far) has nothing to do with Poseidon at all... lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're being fair. I think they make a cute couple and you really aren't taking into account the fact that he was only so protective because he understood how much danger she could be in but probably didn't want to scare the hell out of her (although I'll admit following her on her date may have been a little obsessive but he did have info to give her and she wasn't giving him many options not answering her phone and only threatened her date because he was really hurt to see the girl he was in love with with another guy and the Sherman in the book are a little rougher than the humans. Emma only disobeyed him because she didn't like being ordered around and didn't know the full danger she was in anyways. You'll notice she did stay out of the water when he asked nicely and stayed out for anyone else who ASKED. She wasn't totally senseless as you would have us believe. I will also admit that the 1st and 3rd person juggling act was a little confusing nit didn't overbear the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is actually my co-bloggers review and she's on vacation right now, but I just wanted to point something out:

      "I think they make a cute couple" - Key part of that? The "I"... Opinions are subjective. If you think that they're a cute couple then that's fine, but Julie is entitled to her opinion too and hers just happens to be that they're not great as a couple (and those negative scenes obviously stood out more for her than the positive ones).

      Not everyone has to love the same books that you do. There's books that Julie loves that I hate, and there'll be some that she hates that I love, you just have to accept that not everyone is going to feel the same way about books as you do or read and interpret them the same way. =/

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.