Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz 
by A. S. King 

Summary: Vera’s spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she’s kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, even the police. But will she emerge to clear his name? Does she even want to? 
 So this book was a bit awesome. I kind of avoided reading it for ages and I wish I had read it sooner because it was really good.

 The writing/writing style was really great. It had switching POV's and I hate that in general, but it didn''t bother me in this and it had a bunch of scenes that should've been dull (like filler stuff about her pizza delivery job), but just weren't. The way it was written kept it interesting and didn't drag.

The characters - they were the kind of characters who were very flawed with equally flawed relationships and they felt more realistic and likeable (or in some cases, hateable) because of that and I found myself rooting for them to do the right thing or for things to work out okay for them. Vera and Charlie's relationship was messed up, but in spite of all the bad things, I still wished it would've worked out for them (which makes it even sadder because you know from the very first page that he died and that they didn't get a nice happy ending like they deserved).

The story really surprised me, the plot surprised me and I was so not expecting it to be about what it turned out to be about and it's weird, it felt like just a contemporary novel even though it had some paranormal-ish aspects to it... the execution of it, I could never tell if it was in her head or if it was supposed to be real but it felt like it was real while reading (can you tell I'm trying to explain without spoilers and I'm failing epically?).

But anyway, basically, I really liked the book. I'd probably rate it 4.5 stars out of 5 (could've been either 4 or 5, the 4 because it kind of felt like I read it at the wrong time, was in the wrong frame of mind so things that should've really upset me or made me cry just didn't or 5 because it was genuinely awesome but I'm not sure if that...disconnect from real sadness was a problem with me, just the mood I was in, or if it was a disconnect in the book).

Later.

p.s. it says on the cover that it's a Printz award honor book or something like that - I think I need to read all the Printz books because I've loved all the ones I have read (Jellicoe Road and Looking for Alaska are on my favourite books list and they both won).

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I've heard that this book is really great but from most of the reviews, I've gathered that people have cried reading it, so I've still been putting it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this before but it sounds great. I am glad you enjoyed it :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those books with the "is it real, is it not real" elements to it! I've read great things about this book before, and I really should get around to pick it up.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.