Tuesday, 29 May 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection
by Kiera Cass


Release date (UK): June 7th 2012

Summary: Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret – one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.
So I saw a lot of negative reviews of this book and went into it with low expectations because of that, but I actually enjoyed reading it. It wasn't perfect and had it's flaws, but it was entertaining and did make me kind of care about the characters (at least, it made me care about the romance).

As a dystopian novel? It wasn't really anything special. The world building was lacking (not much detail about the world aside from a few information-dump type scenes that weren't particularly great) and it was kind of unconvincing in some aspects (like the world ending up like that and I didn't buy America's reason for entering the selection, it seemed kind of silly - it was written in a way that made suspension of disbelief difficult, maybe the sequel will be better in that way).

But as a YA romance? It worked.

It was fun to read and I liked the interactions with Maxon and America (I hate the names in the book though - there were only a few exceptions) and I'm actually kind of torn on who I want her to end up with. On one hand, I would really like her with the prince, but then... Aspen was good too. 

I can't think of much more to say about the book than that. I liked it, it kept me amused for a few hours and I want to read the next book. I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5.

I really hope the TV show adaption actually happens because it's one of those books that I think I'd love as a TV show (like Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl or The Lying Game, where I am addicted to the shows even though I didn't love the books). 

Later.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot reviews that do not think very highly of this one. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you. This is one book I'd love made into a TV series. Hopefully, everything will push through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this too and felt the same way! I was surprised at how entertaining it was! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.