Monday, 14 May 2012

When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot

When Lightning Strikes
by Meg Cabot

Summary: Jess Mastriani was misunderstood by her teachers and had a crush on the local bad boy, but that didn't mean she was trouble. But trouble found her when she survived a lightning strike and discovered that a newfound talent had been bestowed upon her.

Now, whenever she sees a picture of a missing child, Jess knows exactly where he or she is when she wakes up the next morning. Reuniting lost children with their desperate parents is one thing, but Jess must choose whether to use her power for good...or for evil.

I don't have a lot to say about this book, so the review will be pretty short (at least in comparison to my usual rambling reviews), but yeah - I really loved it.

I won it in a contest years ago and it's just sat on my shelf unread for all that time and I wish I had read it sooner. I think the reason that I didn't is that a lot of Meg Cabots books (her older ones anyway) have the most awful covers* that are all cartoonish and like the book is aimed at 12 year old girls and the covers really don't do the content of the book justice (I know, I know, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover and I do know better but it's hard not to sometimes).

The book was awesome - it was cute and fun and left me wishing I had the rest of the series to read right away. The main character is fiesty and bad ass and likeable and I loved the relationships in the book and the side characters (especially Rob - he's pretty awesome).

The plot wasn't incredibly mind blowing or anything, but it was good and kept me hooked from start to finish. If you liked The Mediator series (which I absolutely adore), also by Meg Cabot, then this series will probably do it for you too - it has the same charm that those books have with the loveable characters and entertainin plot and they're really quick reads that are perfect for reading if you're not in the mood for something heavy.

 But yeah, that's all I have to say about the book. I'd probably rate it 4 out of 5 stars (it would be 5 out of 5 if I was just rating it on enjoyability, but if I'm comparing it to other books that just totally wow me then this book isn't quite that good...my rating system is weird, I might need to rethink it - and I'm rambling, sorry).

Later.

*The cover that I have is one of the awful cartoonish ones (as shown above), but there's bind-ups released with new covers and there's some other versions too that are a bit less terrible. While the newer covers aren't anything special, I do like them better than the cartoon ones and would cringe less having to read them in front of people.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Jess was definitely feisty and bad ass. I read the first two books in this series, and need to check out the last three.

    Also, yay for a fellow fan of The Mediator series! Love those books :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.