Tuesday, 5 June 2012

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

A Midsummer's Nightmare
Kody Keplinger
Poppy
[June 5, 2012]

Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorced dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great. Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together. Filled with authenticity and raw emotion, Whitley is Kody Keplinger's most compelling character to date: a cynical Holden Caulfield-esque girl you will wholly care about.
Every Kody Keplinger book seems to be better than the one before it.

Whitley was a messed up character, there was no denying that. But I liked her. She grew up a lot, she changed. She became a pretty awesome person and we as readers got to watch. I found her transformation to be honest and incredible to watch. Not every teen can be perfect, good children who don't do anything wrong. Having a character that messed up openly and had no shame about it was different and good to see.

At first, I was not overly fond of the stepbrother. He seemed almost as much of a hot mess as Whitley. But I think I came around to liking him before I liked Whitley. His motives were easier to see and I appreciated them. I appreciated him as a character.

As usual, I love Kody's writing. Serious love! Her writing is always honest and gritty and authentically-teen. Kody Keplinger doesn't hold back, ever, and I love that. The stories are always gripping and her writing clearly grows with each book.

I know this review is crap, trust me I know. But I did that procrastination thing so this review is not doing the book justice. I really and truly loved this book. A Midsummer's Nightmare might even be one of my favorite books of the year. Kody Keplinger has only continued to ensure she's an insta-buy author for me.

Basically, I'm telling you to pick this one up. This book includes some seriously wonderful, complex characters, some of the most honest writing in YA, and a story about family, friendship, and prejudices. Keep an open mind and go in, ready to be amazed.
 

--Julie

5 comments:

  1. Oh no this review isn't crap at all! I've heard very good things about this book so I can't wait to read it. I'm glad Whitley goes through such a realistic transformation. I've only read Shut Out by Kody Kepligner but I know I can depend on her for honest, refreshing takes on YA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This review just proves everything you said yesterday about selling books, because this review makes me want to buy this book way more than a guest post or interview would!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This review proves everything you girls said in your post about selling books yesterday, because I am way more tempted to buy this book from reading your review than I ever would be from reading a guest post or author interview, or just from seeing the cover!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the book today and I loved it too! No, this review wasn't crap; it was really great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story has themes of family, love, and the party scene. I did feel that the family element wasn't as fully explored as it could have been. Whitley's father is well-rounded, though he is consistently absent. I didn't feel get to know Whitley's brother as far as a guy who cares about her but can't be there for her, and her mother is someone who only knows how to complain about her ex-husband. Still, the novel does end where it should: on a note of hope and with a gorgeous summer scene.

    A Midsummer's Nightmare has been one of my favorite summer reads. It has swoonworthy romance, a summer vacataion, and characters with attitude. Keplinger has adressed some topics that many teens can relate to in a manner that will captivate audiences and have them alternately laughing and crying.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.