Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Blue is for Nightmares by Laure Faria Stolarz

Blue is for Nightmares
by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Summary: Stacey's junior year at boarding school isn't easy. She's not the most popular girl at school, or the smartest, or the prettiest. She's got a crush on her best friend's boyfriend, and an even darker secret that threatens to ruin her friendships for good. And now she's having nightmares again. Not just any nightmares – these dreams are too real to ignore, like she did three years ago. 

The last time she ignored them, a little girl died. This time they're about Drea, her best friend who's become the target of one seriously psycho stalker. It started with weird e-mails and freaky phone calls. Now someone's leaving Drea white lilies – the same death lilies that have been showing up in Stacey's dreams. 

Everybody thinks it's just a twisted game . . . until another girl at school is brutally murdered. There are no witnesses. Worst of all, no one has a perfect alibi. With everyone as a potential suspect, Stacey turns to the one secret weapon she can trust – the folk magic taught to her by her grandmother. Will Stacey's magic be strong enough to expose the true killer, or will the killer make her darkest nightmares come true?
 I think if I had read this series when I was younger, I would've really loved it and it would've been a series I was addicted to. Reading it now though, I was just... entertained by it. I enjoyed reading it, it was pretty good, but it wasn't amazing.

I liked that it felt different to other books I've read with a protagonist who is a witch, it felt original in that sense but the whole wiccan aspect... I'm not sure if there was enough back story or discussion about it (the other characters barely react to it), or if it was done really well because of that (with the other characters not really reacting to it or making a big deal out of it, it did give the wiccan side to the character a sense of normalcy - it was like the people around her had accepted that this was a part of who she is and yes it's a little odd but it's not something that they always focus on). I liked that the Stacey wasn't turned into some superhero - her powers had limits and side effects (one that would be particularly cringe-y for a girl at a boarding school).

The plot was pretty predictable, I figured out who the bad guy was pretty early in the book, it wasn't even close to being a surprise and all of the things put in to throw the reader off just didn't work.

I liked the characters, mostly, but Drea was just plain annoying - she was bratty, self-obsessed, arrogant, had some moments where she was pretty nasty and just... I really didn't understand why the main character considered her her best friend or how all the guys were so into her unless it really was just a skin deep thing. Sure, they could have girly moments and hang out and have fun, but their relationship was about as shallow as a kiddie pool and that made it a little less enjoyable to read because it was hard to have a lot of sympathy for Drea. (But, when she wasn't being a bitch and her, Amber and Stacey were hanging out, it was pretty funny and cute and I liked the banter between characters like Amber and PJ.)

I think I'll probably read the rest of the series, because they're fun, quick reads and they're good inbetween books (as in, in between more serious ones). I'd rate the book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Later.

p.s. sorry this review isn't very good, my brain feels all...white noise right now. I was up all night and was ill and then had to go with my best friend so she could get her wedding dress (it's gorgeous), so, yeah... kind of exhausted right now.

1 comment:

  1. I heard of this book earlier last week but I can't remember if it was given a positive review. It sounds interesting, but maybe not for me. Great, honest review :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.