Monday, 2 July 2012

Ditched: A Love Story by Robin Mellom

Ditched: A Love Story
by Robin Mellom 

Summary: High school senior Justina Griffith was never the girl who dreamed of going to prom. Designer dresses and strappy heels? Not her thing. So she never expected her best friend, Ian Clark, to ask her. Ian, who promised her the most amazing night at prom. And then ditched her. 
This book was... fun. I liked it, but it didn't wow me.

It had a lot of funny moments (although it wasn't quite laugh-out-loud funny to me, more smiling in amusement) and I really liked the way the story was told, it felt original. It was told in chapters alternating between Justina retelling the events of the night before to some people and flashbacks of the night as she tells them, and each of the flashbacks is paired up with a stain on her dress or a bruise or something... but yeah, I really liked that, it was cute and an interesting way for the story to be told.

The plot was...what you'd expect it to be. Funny (as I already mentioned), with some total random and quirky moments thrown in but overall pretty predictable - you know when reading how things are going to turn out, but that's not a bad thing, that's actually why I read this. I had just finished reading a book that had me crying like a baby and wanted something light and fun with a pretty much gauranteed happy ending.

The main issue I had with the book, and the thing that prevented me from liking it more, was basically just that I didn't like Justina. The side characters? There were awesome, especially Bliss, Serenity and the Mike's but Justina was just... the way the other characters seemed to think of her (like, for example, that she is sweet) doesn't match up at all to what I read in the book. She came across as annoying, whiny, hypocritical and kind of catty/bitchy/judgemental too and she always assumed the worst of people and situations - the last one is at least acknowledged as one of her flaws by her and another character, but it's still frustrating to read about.

The romance in the book was one of the weaker points too. I mean, I was rooting for them in the way I always do in these kind of rom-com type books, but I didn't think there was any...spark on the page between Ian and Justina, and the chain of events that led to all the misunderstandings and shenanigans in the book were just ridiculous and I wanted to yell at them, "USE YOUR WORDS!" because literally most of the problems they had could've been solved by literally a 2 minute conversation (which can often be the case in these kinds of books but this just took it to silly levels).

Basically, it wasn't an amazing book but it kept me entertained for a while and it's ideal if you're in the mood for this sort of book (the light, quick reads that are predictable and don't require much thought but they're amusing to read). I'd rate it 3 out of 5 stars.

 Later.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least it wasn't a complete let down! I do like stories that are funny enough to make me smile and have good enough characters and the writing is original but yes, plot is very important. I have heard that the plot wasn't as original as it could have been so that's not really surprising. It does suck that the romance wasn't as strong. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.