Monday, 9 July 2012

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Throne of Glass
by Sarah J. Maas

Summary: Celaena Sardothien is a daredevil assassin with unrivalled fighting skills. After a year’s hard labour in the salt mines of the kingdom of Adarlan, Celaena is offered her freedom on one condition—she must fight as handsome Prince Dorian’s champion in a contest sponsored by the king, facing the deadliest thieves and assassins in the land in a series of set-piece battles in the country’s stunning glass palace. But there is more at stake than even her life—for Celaena is destined for a remarkable future...

Well then. This book... Yes. It was awesome. It's difficult to put it into words...


I was not expecting to love the book as much as I did.

Celaena - she's brilliant. She's an assassin and yet, reading the book, the situation and her character seems more complex than that. Killers can be the good guys, the people who should be good can be bad. Celaena was just totally fierce, she stuck up for herself and could kick ass in a fight and I adored her from the start. And the way other characters treat her, I like that she wasn't treated like a damsel in distress just because she's a girl - if someone wanted to help her, it was because they cared, not because she was a girl and I like that. And I loved that by the end, I felt like I knew her character but she was still kind of a mystery at the same time - it's like, you get to know her personality but there's so much about her and her past you're left wanting to know.

The romance in the book... it was subtle--just a side plot really, or one of the side plots--it was never the focus but it was done really well. And more than that, it was a love triangle done well (if you could call it that - like I said, it was subtle and it was more hints of feelings/sparks between characters than an actual in-your-face totally obvious love triangle--and it's not quite love yet--but I want it to be). It's not predictable, I don't know who she will end up with--if she'll even end up with anyone--and more than that, I don't know who I want her to end up with (although, I think maybe I prefer her with Chaol but I liked her with Dorian too).

Dorian would show up and I'd be all:

And then Chaol would show up and I'd still be all:

By the end, I was just like:

...So yes, I think that about sums that aspect up.

I loved the world and the plot and how it left me really wanting more but it's not one of those books that are so clearly just setting up for a sequel and leaving frustrating cliff hangers - it felt like we were given just enough information, just enough loose ends were left untied and I want the sequel so badly, if I had it now then I would've started reading as soon as I finished Throne of Glass.

The writing was awesome too, and all of the characters - I've mentioned Chaol, Dorian and Celaena but the other characters were great too; the bad guys delightfully bad, the good guys awesome enough that I'd like to be their friend. I don't read a lot of epic, high fantasy type books but it's books like this one that make me want to read more of them. I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

(Sorry if this review is a bit scattered - I'm very tired and I'm stuck babysitting right now so my mind is all over the place but I wanted to get this review out of my system).

Later.


p.s. This review was written just after I finished reading the book, and while I still love it, I've seen a lot of negative reviews too (seems to be one of those love it or hate it kind of books) - I do see where some of those people are coming from, saying Celaena was too perfect and all that... but it just didn't bother me when reading (maybe because I didn't view her as perfect).

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you liked this one! I loved it too! I was worried about how the love triangle would work but I like that there was more to each of the guys!

    here's a pronunciation guide the author has: http://sarahjmaas.com/extras/throne-of-glass-pronunciation-guide/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the pronunciations were bugging me, I don't normally have an issue pronouncing odd names but those ones... *facepalm*

      I really like Chaols name now that I know how it's pronounced. =]

      Delete
  2. This seems like my type of book! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.