Saturday, 11 August 2012

Heist Society by Ally Carter

Heist Society
Ally Carter
Hyperion Books CH
[February 9, 2010]

When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.

Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.

For Kat, there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it's a spectacularly impossible job? She's got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family's history--and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.
Julie, you've never read a book like this? What changed your mind?

Excellent Question, Self. I picked up this book because Ally Carter kept tweeting about Hale in a tux! Shirtless! Shirtless more! Shirtless again! And I can be that shallow (also, what kind of situations are these people in that he can always be shirtless?)

But also because a lot of people I know really seem to like this series and Ally Carter seems pretty cool.

So, this isn't My Type of Book. But the story was enjoyable and fun, despite the high stakes. It was nothing like I usually see in YA and while I wasn't super in love with the story or anything, I definitely enjoyed it.

The characters were the real selling point for me. I really loved how clever and loyal Kat was. I loved that she was not going to back down from her beliefs unless it was necessary. I also really loved Hale. He was funny and witty and as wonderful as I'd hoped he would be.

Ally Carter definitely has a lot of writing talent. I sped through this book because I was captivated. She's seriously earned her reputation.

So, this is a quick, fun read with awesome characters and an interesting story line. I'm definitely hoping to pick up book 2 in the future!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. You'll definitely want to pick up the next book so that you can fall even more in love with Hale-he is such a great book guy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.