Thursday, 16 August 2012

The Killables by Gemma Malley

The Killables
by Gemma Malley

Summary: Everyone accepted that people were different physically. But inside? Inside, they were different too. You just had to know how to tell, what to look for. Evil has been eradicated. The City has been established. And citizens may only enter after having the 'evil' part of their brain removed. They are labelled on the System according to how 'good' they are. If they show signs of the evil emerging, they are labelled a K ...But no one knows quite what that means. Only that they disappear, never to be seen again ...
My thoughts on this book are - confusing. It feels like it's the first book I've been able to finish in a while (total reading funk, I must've started reading about 12 books then put them down again) and I enjoyed reading it - I think that's what matters most, that it kept me entertained and that I enjoyed it, but if I think about the book too much then my opinion of it lowers.

Lets start with the world. It's... it's interesting, I guess, but it's nothing special. I don't think I need to tell you that there's been a flood of dystopian YA novels since The Hunger Games became a hit, and that's fine, I love dystopian novels, but the problem with that is that it's getting really difficult to find one that feels fresh and original, like it's bringing something brand new to the genre. While interesting, the dystopia created in this book didn't feel like anything special, it didn't stand out. I wasn't buying into the world 100%, but I was able to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy it anyway, even if I did find it lacking in some areas.

The writing - well, the book started off totally hooking me but then it got a bit repetetive and boring, but it picked up the pace again. The repetetiveness, that was probably down to the fact that the city in the book had a very cult-ish feel to it, the characters were being brainwashed so it was expected but not fun to read about.

The romance and the family stuff in the book were what kept me interested the most, I think. But even those, if I think about them too much, I find I have issues with them.

I can't discuss the family ones without spoilers but the romance... in the beginning, Raffy was the only character I really liked but as the book progressed, he seemed kind of childish, too prone to mood swings and tantrums and that bugged me but I still liked him... and then of course, it just had to have the beginnings of a love triangle, didn't it *facepalm* I like the other corner of the triangle, but - gah. I just - I have issues with it, it just seemed so out of the blue and then when feelings are being revealed it just does not make sense.

And I'm probably not making sense because I'm trying to discuss this without giving spoilers and it's just not working well (and now I'm rambling, sorry). My issue with the love triangle is - age, and if you read the book you'll understand what I mean by that (it's less about the age difference and more about something the second guy says that makes the age thing dodgy, about when he first started having - feelings).

There seemed to be a few inconsistencies in the book, a few errors (like, Raffy is mentioned as being labelled B but then like a chapter later, he's referred to as being a C and then the age thing - I think the age thing may have actually just been another one of those unintentional inconsistencies, like the author wrote something, forgot she wrote that then wrote something later that contradicted the first thing or made it seem strange and then the editor didn't pick up on the mistakes). It didn't bother me too much, but it's something I noticed.

Overall, I liked the book, I liked the characters and if I suspend disbelief and try not to overthink the book and the realationships then I find myself really enjoying it. I will probably read the sequel when it's out.

If you like dystopian novels, then I do recommend this one, but if you're sick of the genre or are only interested in reading really unique/original dystopian novels then maybe give this one a miss because I don't think it brings anything new to the table. I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Later.

p.s. Seriously, sorry for how rambling and all over the place this review probably is.

p.p.s. I hate the title of this book, because it's basically a spoiler. As soon as a certain thing in the book is mentioned, you know what the title means and it would've just been better off if it was more shocking when the truth is finally revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.