Monday, 17 September 2012

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me
Kat Zhang
HarperTeen
[September 18, 2012]

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

I went into What's Left of Me expecting to fully enjoy myself. An interesting premise and some good reviews from people I trust, I was excited. It turned out that this book was totally not what I expected, but still most excellent.

A large part of me expected to see this from both Eva and Addie's perspective, but instead it was just Eva. That was the first thing that made it different. It was a lot easier to be sympathetic towards Addie and understand her frustration. Addie was never made out as an evil person, definitely not, but it was almost as if she wasn't as happy about having Eva at times and that might've shaped how we saw Eva differently. Instead we got a sympathetic, honest look at both girls. Definitely a tricky balance and I'm glad Kat Zhang was able to pull it off so well.

The story was the biggest surprise though. I definitely didn't see the direction it went coming and it was a really interesting surprise. It was better for the story than what I was expecting to read. There was more action and it added more depth to the problem hybrids face. I understood their dangers and what hybrids were up against more. I'm really happy with here it went and the twists and the turns and genuine Drama that wasn't super-manufactured.

Kat Zhang's a really wonderful writer. Smooth, and fluent, but still grabbing you in. A lot of my reading time was grabbed in bits and pieces, but I always had a hard time putting the book down. The relationships between Eva and Addie's family, their friendships, and their potential love interests were all so well crafted and intricate and lovely.

I personally think What's Left of Me deserves the buzz it's been getting. It's a really awesome book with a lot of amazing things and a really fantastic plot - none of which I can explain in detail without worrying about spoilers. Just trust me when I say that if you're on the fence with this one, go for it.

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. Glad that the storyline was surprising, and that the relationships were portrayed very well. This book is definitely on my wishlist!

    Fabulous review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that this book is so good. It's always nice when a book isn't what you are expecting, but in a good way. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.