Thursday, 1 November 2012

A Very Belated Post: YA at ComicCon

So, I think I've put this post off long enough. That I've officially gotten a week off of school and done almost nothing productive...maybe it's time I get this post done, yeah?

It's no secret that I went to ComicCon...well last month now. I wasn't there for the nerdy stuff (though, I did take advantage of that occasionally), I was there for books and meeting people I've worked with and people I've been talking to for years. Almost all of it was spent with Nicole from Paperback Princess and a good deal of it was also spent with her co-blogger, Danielle, who were awesome at getting around and teaching me how to do conventions.

I'm going to try and organize this by publisher because it seems easier than remembering when different things happened.

HarperTeen

HarperTeen was one of my most frequent stops. The people working that booth were so lovely and wonderful and generous. And they were always happy to talk to us.

On Friday, the Epic Reads girls, Aubrey and Margot, were there with Snarkles. Snarkles and my Dapper Octopus had become very good friends before ComicCon, so I'd brought him and Dapper Octopus and Snarkles got to meet. Pictures were taken and we chatted plenty about books we loved and were excited about.

Tahereh Mafi did a Passion, Power, and Paranormal Panel (...I may have mixed up my Ps) on Friday and was supposed to sign after, but things got a bit mixed up, so she came for a little while Saturday morning. On Friday after her panel, I walked up awkwardly to the stage and said "Hi, I'm Julie" and she knew who I was and made me come up on the stage so we could hug and chat. Then Saturday morning, we got on the floor early for her signing, but since we were so early, we had time to chat more and hug more and then eventually we actually got around to the signing. I brought my hardcover of Shatter Me and they provided ARCs of Unravel Me. Tahereh's the sweetest human being on the planet and she's adorable and IT WAS SO AWESOME to finally meet her.

Jocelyn Davies, author of A Beautiful Dark, was the moderator on the panel, and she did awesome on keeping things flowing and asking interesting questions. I ended up buying a copy of A Fractured Light for her to sign because my copy of A Beautiful Dark was at my parents'.

On Sunday, there was the YA Panel, where editors and publicists and marketers got to talk about books that are out or are coming out in the near future. Harper talked about:
  • Fragments by Dan Wells. Pitched as Battlestar Galactica meets The Hunger Games. Sequel to Partials. Comes out February 26, 2013.
  • Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi. Comes out February 5, 2013. Pitched as X-Men meets V for Vendetta. Sequel to Shatter Me. The series has been optioned by Fox.
  • Requiem by Lauren Oliver. Pitched as Brave New World meets Casablanca. Optioned for film. Third book in the Delirium trilogy. Comes out March 5, 2013.
  • Mind Games by Kiersten White. Pitched as The Lying Games meets Alias. Comes out February 19, 2013.
  • House of Secrets by Ned Vizzini and Christ Columbus. Pitched as The Goonies meets Inkheart. J.K. Rowling blurbed it. Comes out April 23, 2013.
  • Light by Michael Grant. Pitched as Lost meets Lord of the Flies. Sixth and final book in the Gone series. Comes out April 2, 2013.
  • Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza. Pitched as Bourne Identity and...something I missed (fail). Comes out March 12, 2013.
  • Arclight by Joslin L. McQuein. Pitched as Stephen King meets The Passage. Comes out April 23, 2013.
  • Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum. Pitched as Terminator meets 1984. This is an Alloy book, so a book or movie is likely to follow. Comes out January 8, 2013.
  • Reboot by Amy Tintera. Pitched as Maximum Ride meets La Femme Nikita. First on a two-books series. Comes out May 7, 2013.
I picked up ARCs of Prophecy by Ellen Oh, Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi, Revolution 19 by Gregg Rosenblum, Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi, and Mind Games by Kiersten White. I'm also super psyched for Mila 2.0 and Reboot.

Disney:

We ended up spending a lot of time at the Disney booth and got to know some of the people working there really well (*waves to Dina and Lizzy*) because we went to a couple of signings and had a tendency to get there VERY early and start a line.

On Friday, I went to Alexandra Bracken and Dan Krokos's signing for The Darkest Minds and False Memory. Alex was super sweet and Dan's really funny. 

Later during the panel with all of the Ps, Alex and Dan were again there, being lovely and charming. After the panel ended, I had them sign Brightly Woven and False Memory for me. I loooooooooooove Brightly Woven and I figured since I had False Memory, I may as well get the first book while I was there.

On Saturday, we dashed over after our chat and signing with Tahereh Mafi to wait in line for Victoria Schwab. She was lovely and sweet and provided us with tote bags and as many bookmarks and stickers as we would like. And, you know, signed ARCs of The Archived. We then had to dash off to another signing, but came back a short while later. Nicole helped Victoria and some people at the Penguin booth, while I stayed with Lizzy, chatting and helping to mark where the end of the line was.

During their session of the YA Panel on Sunday, Disney discussed (I'll only briefly mention non MG/YA books):
  • Frankenweenie: There's a related ebook that is free (I question my notes now) and a graphic novel coming in May.
  • Red Pyramid graphic novel went on sale the week before ComicCon.
  • The Blue Bloods graphic novel and the seventh - and last - book in the series, Gates of Paradise release on January 8, 2013.
  • Marvel Origin Stories and Apps were released earlier in October.
  • Wreck it Ralph, which comes out in theaters November 2, will have some digital stories coming out and available November 1.
  • Beta by Rachel Cohn. Sci-fi story with Chris White attached as producer.
  • The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. Alexandra was nominated for Best New Author on Goodreads in 2011 and The Darkest Minds has been optioned by 20th Century Fox. Comes out December 18, 2012.
  • The Archived by Victoria Schwab. Comes out January 22, 2013.
  • The Odd Squad: Bully Bait by Michael Fry. Coming out February 12, 2013.
  • The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe. Sequel to The Way We Fall. Coming out February 12, 2013.
I picked up ARCs of The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken, False Memory by Dan Krokos and The Archived by Victoria Schwab. 

Little Brown/Hachette:

We didn't spend a lot of time here because their YA section was fairly small. I did grab a sampler of Etiquette and Espionage (which I read and was awesome and that little bit was not enough!) and some swag, especially Beautiful Creatures stuff.

At the YA Panel, the people at Little Brown talked about:
  • Lemony Snicket's newest book, Who Could That Be at This Hour?, which came out October 23. It is the first in a 4 book series and made up partly of comics. The series is also somewhat of a memoir.
  • Monster High: GhoulFriends Forever, which is illustrated.
  • The Diviners by Libba Bray. X-Files meets Flappers. It's already a NYT Bestseller and the first in a 4 book series.
  • Zom-B by Darren Shan. The first in a 12 book series. The sequel comes out in January.
  • Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor. Sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Comes out November 6.
  • Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. Comes out February 5, 2012. It takes place 25 years before Gail's adult series, which starts with Soulless, and is the first in a 4 book series.
  • Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Bestselling series. This is the 4th and final book in the Beautiful Creatures series. The Beautiful Creatures movie will premiere February 13, 2013.
  • Breaking Dawn and the rest of the saga will be coming out in a collection.
  • The series will also come out in a white edition box set on December 4, 2012.
  • Struck by Lightening by Chris Colfer. NYT Bestseller. This is the expansion of a movie Chris wrote, produced, and starred in, but this is his first YA book.
I really love The Diviners and I'm super excited, as I said, for Etiquette and Espionage.

Macmillan:

Macmillan didn't have a booth, so I only got to see them at the YA Panel. After, Lizzy did introduce me to Ksenia, who I met briefly at...some other event (I also saw her again like a week later at the Fierce Reads event I went to). But they brought up:
  • Scarlet by Marissa Meyers. Comes out February 5, 2013. This is described as fairy tales in space. Scarlet is the sequel/companion to Cinder and the retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The third book in the series will retell Rapunzel and the fourth will retell Snow White.
  • Unremembered by Jessica Brody. First in a new series, this comes out March 5, 2013.
  • Shadow and Bone is the first in a new tsarpunk series and came out earlier this year. Seige and Storm, the sequel, will come out next June. Dreamworks has optioned the movie and a Harry Potter producer is attached (I forget which one).
  • Crewel by Gennifer Albin. Came out October 16 and is the first in a new trilogy.
  • Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and . The second book comes out in 2014.
SCARLET! I'm dying for that one. I also really, really enjoyed Shadow and Bone and Crewel and was really happy to meet them at the Fierce Reads signing.

Penguin:

Penguin was another place we spent a lot of time at. They were just so friendly and had so much stuff.

On Friday, they had Maureen Johnson at the panel with all the Ps, but she wasn't feeling well and ducked out. We talked with her a bit during the signing time. But mostly, Friday was spent stalking for the next book drop.

Saturday, we ran to the Beth Revis signing from the Victoria Schwab signing (it was a busy morning) and she signed a copy of A Million Suns that I'd purchased the previous day and an ARC of Shades of Earth that they provided, which was awesome. She's really sweet and I was happy to see her a few times during that weekend.

Later in the day, we returned for Maureen Johnson's signing. They were trying not to start a line, but somehow one started anyway, so we hopped on. The line ended up wrapping around the block of booths, which the neighbors didn't really enjoy. I felt bad, but it moved pretty quickly and I walked away with a signed copy of The Name of the Star and The Madness Underneath. Maureen is lovely and funny and if you get the chance to see her, take it.

On Sunday, my one and only book I picked up was Department 19 by Will Hill because he was doing a signing. Nicole wanted to go, so I tagged along. He was really awesome and now I'm more excited to read the book.

Some of the books that Penguin talked about:
  • Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. The first of two books and comes out December 11, 2012.
  • Rise by Andrea Creamer. The sequel to Rift and it comes out January 8, 2013.
  • Shades of Earth by Beth Revis. The third and final book in the Across the Universe series. Releases January 15, 2013.
  • Prodigy by Marie Lu. Sequel to Legend. Blade Runner meets Les Miserables. CBS Films is planning to adapt Legend into a movie. Prodigy comes out January 29, 2015.
  • The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson. Sequel to The Name of the Star. Comes out February 26, 2012.
  • Brotherband Chronicles by. Available now. This is the first book and the third book will be out by fall.
  • The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey. Alien invasion/Sci-Fi book that comes out Summer 2013. I talked to one of the women at the booth about it before the panel and she said that they had only read what was in the sampler and loved it.
From Penguin, I got ARCs of Shades of Earth by Beth Revis, The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson, The Obsidian Mirror by Catherine Fisher, Prodigy by Marie Lu, The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist, as well as finished copies of The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson and Department 19 by Will Hill.

Random House:

We didn't spend much time at Random House either since they were really just displaying their books. I did grab a copy of Dualed by Elsie Chapman because I'm stoked for that book.

At the panel, they discussed:
  • Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. Debut novel. NYT bestseller. Christopher Paolini blurbed it.
  • The Fire Chronicle by . NYT Bestseller. On sale now. Sequel
  • Every Day by David Levithan. Available now.
  • The Kill Order by James Dashner. Lord of the Rings meets The Hunger Games. Prequel to The Maze Runner. NYT Bestseller.
  • The Paladin Prophecy by . Author was the co-writer of Twin Peaks.
  • Mystic City by Theo Lawrence. Romeo and Juliet, The Hunger Games, Blade Runner, and X-Men combined.
  • Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. Came out October 23 in paperback and special edition. It's the last book in the Eragon series.
  • Dualed by Elsie Chapman. A debut novel coming out in February.
I'm so excited to read Dualed. I also have a lot of these books but haven't read them yet, so now I'm just more pumped to get to them. And I want to get my hands on The Maze Runner. I also did get a signed copy of Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel at the Del Ray booth. That was awesome.

Simon and Schuster:

The people at Simon and Schuster were wonderful and helpful and kind. I also got to meet Lydia, who I've worked with a lot. They were also super awesome and gave out copies of Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans. It was always nice to stop over there and pet the pretty books.

At the panel, they discussed:
  • Unwind and Unwholly by Neal Schusterman. NYT Bestsellers.
  • Flesh and Bone by . NYT Bestseller. Book 3 in the series.
  • The Blessed by Tonya Hurley. NYT Bestseller. First in trilogy.
  • Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger. Debut novel. MG
  • Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger. YA coming out March 5, 2013.
  • Ruins by Orson Scott Card. Came out October 30. Sequel to Pathfinder.
  • Witch World by Christopher Pike. His first book in a while. Comes out November 3.
  • Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans. Debut novel. Comes out January 15, 2013.
  • Beyonders . Book 3. On sale March 13, 2013. NYT Bestseller.
Let the Sky Fall is one of those books I kept going to pet because I WANTED but they only had the display copy and couldn't give it away. Also, I've already read Level 2 and it's really good.

Tor Teen:

Tor was there, but Tor Teen was not, so I didn't really swing by. But at the panel...
  • Earthseed. Lord of the Flies in space. First in trilogy. Paramount has optioned and Melissa Rosenburg is set to write and produce. This is a reprint from 1983.
  • Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake. Sequel to Anna Dressed in Blood.
  • Pirate Cinema
  • Renegade by J Sauders. Comes out today! First in a trilogy.
  • Breaking Point by Kirsten Simmons. Sequel to Article 5. Comes out February 2013.
  • Homeland by Cory Doctorow. Sequel to Little Brother. Comes out February 2013.
  • The Nightmare Affair by Mindy . March 2013. First in a trilogy.
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule by . MG debut. Comes out April 2013.
  • The Rithmatist. YA epic fantasy. Comes out May 2013.
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. The movie comes out in November 2013 and there will be movie tie ins.
You'll notice I gave up on links after a while. Part of me is sorry, but the other part of me spent so many hours just typing this post that it's no longer sorry.

So...I hope you guys appreciate the wrap up. I provided as much as I could without...going insane. Towards the end, it's just my notes because I didn't have the mental capacity to look up the rest of the information (I still have to shower...and start NaNoWriMo because it's past midnight). And for the rest of you starting NaNoWriMo, good luck!

--Julie

1 comment:

  1. Better late than never! I appreciate the wrap up post and I like how you broke it up by publisher! One of these days I'll be able to attend one of these events!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.