Monday, 22 October 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

Mystic City
by Theo Lawrence

Summary: Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.
So I've been kind of bored with the whole dystopia sort of story for a while now, but this book managed to win me over anyway, I really enjoyed reading it.

The world was interesting, I think I would've maybe liked to know a bit more about the history of it and how the world ended up the way it did and stuff, but it wasn't too bad, even if it was lacking in some areas. I loved the whole mystic aspect of it.

The characters...I liked some of them, hated others (but a lot of them, we were supposed to hate so that's fine). Aria was a decent protagonist, I liked her--definitely more towards the end--although I did find her frustrating sometimes because things that seem so blatantly obvious to the reader takes her forever to figure out (to a certain extent, that is understandable, but it seemed really extreme with her) and I wished that she stood up for other people and herself a bit more, instead of always at the last possible moments when it's one of those gun-in-your-face kind of situations. But, like I said, I liked her more by the end of it.

The only other real issue I had with the characters were that they seemed more like...cardboard cut-out characters. Well, the ones that were weren't intended to like anyway. The good characters were written well, they were fun, likeable, had actual personality but the others - her friends in the Aries just seemed like shallow airheads and the bad guys seemed more...twirling-their-moustaches-with-an-evil-laugh kind of bad, where bad is all that they are and there's not much to them beyond that. Considering who some of the bad guys are, I'd have rather there be a bit more feeling to them than that.

But then, that may just be personal preference, I just think I would've liked Aria's character more if her family showed, I dunno, something to give a good reason for her being conflicted when she finds out certain things. And the story would've just seemed...more, if the bad guys had a bit more humanity to them.

I liked the romance. The memory loss thing made the insta-love situation not bother me and I liked Hunter and Aria together. Aside from the mystic aspect, I think that was my favourite part of the book and I was rooting for them to be together.

The plot: I enjoyed it (except for the frustration over things being obvious but taking forever for Aria to figure them out). It was pretty predictable at times, I think only one or two parts actually took me by surprise.

There were a few times, too, where little inconsistencies stood out to me (like something being mentioned in one chapter, then not making sense because of something said in a later chapter - which I can't really explain without spoilers), those little things like that just left me thinking, "Huh?"...but I was too caught up in the story to be too bugged by them. (But, note: I was tired while reading, so maybe I missed things.)

Anyway, those negative things...they didn't bother me too much, they're just things I noticed (or maybe reading while sleep deprived made me read things wrong). The only thing in the book I really didn't like was the names some things were given, like TouchMe or AmuseMe or whatever (I'm guessing they were meant to be like - tablets/phones/mp3 players or something like that but I wish they'd either be give different names or just called what they were).

Sorry, this review is really kind of long and rambling, but I really enjoyed the book and I loved the way it ended and I really want to read the sequel. I'd rate it 3.5 stars out of 5 (4 out of 5 if we're going purely on overall enjoyability).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I like the general plot of Mystic City but I'm unsure whether I'm intrigued enough to read it....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.