Wednesday, 24 October 2012

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Peter Pan
by J.M. Barrie


Summary: One night Peter Pan flies into the home of the Darling children, and so begins a magical adventure with Peter, the fairy Tinker Bell, the lovely Wendy, and the evil Captain Hook.

Peter Pan is one of my favourite stories (I say stories, because it's not just the book I love, I love the movie versions of it, the retellings - all of it), and it's one that I don't really know how to review.

I reread it recently (while watching a movie adaption in the background) and I realised that what I love about it is the way the book makes me feel. It's not the normal sort of way a book can make me feel, where it has me sympathising or empathising with the characters, it's more like - nostalgic about life.

It's hard to explain, but only one other story has ever made me feel it in the way this does (Tuck Everlasting being the other). It's that same feeling I've always gotten in Autumn or Winter - when the leaves are starting to fall and the ground is littered beautifully with orange and yellow, or when it's snowing at night and everything just feels softer and kind of enchanted, or the feeling I get when I walk through the woods and it's like stepping into a different world... those things always make me feel a certain way, something kind of magical (as dorky as that sounds), appreciative of live, and a strange mix of wonder and missing something I don't have a name for. And Peter Pan gives me that exact same feeling. And I love that.

I love the characters too, and the story in general (there's this innocence to it that is hard to find now - it talks of love and kisses and growing up but in a way that is different, sweeter, than most other stories and that's lovely -- but there's an unexpected darkness to it as well and so many layers and interpretations and different ways of reading it), and the writing is lovely - but it really is the way that it makes me feel that makes me really, really adore it.

Also, if I could recommend an edition of the book to get: The Barnes and Noble Leatherbound Classic one is brilliant. My best friend got it for me for Christmas last year and the quality of it, the cover, the colours, the illustrations - all of it, is just awesome. Some pictures (you can't tell from the photos, but the edges of the pages are actually silver):

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.