Saturday, 17 November 2012

Trailers for 2013 Book to Movie Adaptions

I have really, really sucked at blogging these past few months and this month has been the worst so far. It's just that I've not really been reading and NaNoWriMo has been happening, but I miss blogging. So, I'm going to try and be less terrible at posting.

Next week, I'm gonna attempt to have a reading week (but, I'll still be doing NaNo so that might not go so well...I'll try anyway).

But yeah, enough about that, I wanted to talk a little bit about some of the book to movie adaptations that are coming out next year because a few trailers/teaser trailers have just been released for them recently and...yeah.

So, here are the trailers and my thoughts on them (feel free to skip my thoughts and just watch the trailers and tell me your thoughts):

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones


What I like: 
  • I admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of Jamie being cast as Jace and while he will never be Book-Jace to me, it looks like he's done a pretty good job.
  • Lily was my fan cast Clary even before it was announced she was cast, same with the actress playing her mum, so love that.
  • Basically, I love the cast (especially Robert Sheehan as Simon). The trailer was a lot better than I expected it to be. 
  • I just think that it's really good for a teaser trailer.
What I didn't like:
  • The only part of the trailer that seemed a bit odd to me was the screaming in the club scene. Something about it was just off...it was so - rehearsed, but maybe it'll work better in context while watching the movie.
  • Would've liked to see Magnus, but it is only the teaser trailer. :)
Overall opinion: I am really, really excited for this one.

The Host


Thoughts: I think this looks surprisingly good.

I'm not a fan of the fact that they aged all of the characters down, the characters really do not even come close to how they're described in the book, which sucks if people are hoping for a really faithful adaption of the book but I think it looks like it'll be good as a movie in its own right. It looks like they stayed true to the plot mostly and the actors are good, well, actors. (Also, love that they used Imagine Dragons in the trailer.)

Issues: No real issues with the trailer itself, the only issues I had were about the book to movie comparisons, not the movie on its own. The second voice over--the one that isn't Saoirse--is a bit...meh, but that's about it.

Warm Bodies


Thoughts: I adore Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer, and it looks like they're going to be awesome in this. I started reading the book last year or something and didn't get into it, so it's unfinished, but the movie looks good and made me want to give the book another shot. It looks funny and cute and the fact that it seems kind of like a comedy instead of going for the serious, tortured Twilight-esque romance, it makes me not mind the fact that they turned a zombie into a romantic lead.

Issues: None that I can think of.

Beautiful Creatures



Thoughts: Hmm. Kind of torn on this one. It made me want to read the book, and I am interested in seeing the movie but it didn't wow me. I think the issue might be that the main character and her love interest didn't really have much spark or leave much of an impression, they seemed kind of bland in comparison to the rest of the cast when they're the ones who should be standing out (since I've not read the book yet, I'm not sure how much like the book characters they are - for anyone who has read it, do you think they were well cast?).

Issues: Pretty much covered that above, didn't I? Woops.


Other book to movie stuff: 

Shailene Woodly has been cast as Tris in the Divergent movie. She's far from being my first choice but I'm alright with her as Tris, I don't hate her like some people seem to and while she may not be the petite blonde that Tris is described as being, she does still have that kind of fragile quality/look to her that could make people underestimate how strong she can be so that's not so bad. So yeah, I like her.

Also, apparently there's four guys in the running to play Four. there's only one of them that I would really dislike, mostly because he looks far too old (Luke Bracey), but the others - there's one I really like (Brenton Thwaites), one I'd be cool with (Jack Reynor), and one who I think seems a bit too nice/friendly looking to play Four but I would still be cool with him being cast (Lucas Till).

If anyone is actually still reading, what do you think of the trailers? And the Divergent casting news?

Later.

5 comments:

  1. I love the trailers for The Mortal Instruments and The Host! They are all in all a lot better than what I was expecting. :)

    However, I am extremely peeved about the casting of Warmed Bodies. Very very peeved. The character who plays the female lead in this story is supposed to be african american and YET AGAIN they feel the need to white wash another character on the big screen. I mean, if her character is constantly described as black (Ethiopian to be exact) throughout the novel (see direct quotes from article linked below) do the directors *really* think we won't notice her whole race has changed? How are people even supposed to know that that's her if they read the book?

    Here is a quote from an article
    that better explains why I disagree with the the casting:

    Unlike most big Hollywood films, Warm Bodies does not headline A-listers. Instead, the film stars a young cast of up-and-comers and relative unknowns. Yet, the main leads, “R” and “Julie” were able to stay white, but a supporting character like Nora could not stay black. While “personality” is undoubtedly important to any role, this isn’t the first time “the best actor for the role” excuse has been used to justify taking away yet another limited opportunity for a performer of color. The “personality” argument also suggests that actors of color are not cast in films because they are out-competed by the glowing “personalities” of their white counterparts, rather than locked out by limited roles and opportunities. Regardless of the production’s intentions, their casting decision has reinforced a discriminatory glass ceiling.

    This time, they’ve denied an opportunity for an actress of color to play the role of…the best friend of the white lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get far enough into the Warm Bodies book to read about her character, so I didn't know they had white washed her.

      But yeah, I totally agree with you about the white washing thing.

      It really bugs me when the whole "best actor for the role" or "but s/he's a good actor and that's what counts more than how they were described physically" excuse comes up.

      There are plenty of actors in the world and it is possible to find one who can both look and act the part, the two aren't mutually exclusive. In cases like this, I wonder if they even gave black actresses the oppertunity to audition.

      Delete
  2. I think all three look really good! I agree with you, though---the trailer for Beautiful Creatures didn't really have that "WOW" factor, but I also haven't read the book (it's on my wishlist!).

    Thanks, great post!

    Morgan
    http://castlesmadeofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The main characters for Beautiful Creatures (the boy and Lena - I forget the character of the boy's name) seem a bit... older than what I thought. They don't seem 15, 16 years old.

    That's really my only issue. BUT THE HOST. MY GOD, THAT TRAILER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it yet, so I didn't know the ages, but Hollywood usually always casts older actors in their late teens/in their twenties to play 15-17 year olds (just look at Katniss in THG). Means they don't have to worry about child labour laws or anything like that.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.