Monday, 24 December 2012

Top Books of 2012

Lanna's Top 12 Books of 2012
So, since it's near the end of the year, it's time for this post again. I think in previous years that we've done this, we just chose our top books released that year, but I haven't read many books this year that have left me with a lingering wow feeling, so I'm just going to choose from all of the books I've read this year, regardless of their release dates (plus, older books deserve attention too).

There are some books that I've read this year that I enjoyed at the time, but in hindsight, they haven't stuck with me as much as I thought they would, these ones are the ones that still impress me as much as they did when I initially read them (the list is in no particular order):

Note: A few of these are sequels and will have summaries that spoil earlier books in the series, so if the listing has "(sequel)" after the authors name...well, you know to be careful of spoilers if you've not read the series yet.


1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
3. Froi of the Exiles by Melina Marchetta (sequel)
4. Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta (sequel, actually a sequel to #3 - it's the 3rd in a trilogy)
5. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
6. Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaqueline Moriarty
7. Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
8. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
9. 1-800-Where-R-You series by Meg Cabot
10. Foretold by Jana Oliver (sequel)
11. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
12. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Normally I'd give my reasons for each choice, but I think I'll skip that this year (if you want to know, just look up my review). Really, each reason could just be summed up with one/a combination/all of these gifs:


What'd you guys think of these books (if you've read them)? And what are your top books of 2012?

Later.

Julie's Top 12 Books of 2012:
Unlike Lanna, this was probably a record year in books for me, already over 150 and still going (if goodreads counted manuscripts, it would probably be like 160). Picking just 12 books is hard. So, I'm breaking this up into CATEGORIES.

YA Debut Novels
1.) Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
2.) Definace by C.J. Redwine
3.) The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
4.) My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
5.) Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry 
6.) Gilt by Katherine Longshore
7.) Everneath by Brodi Ashton 
8.) Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
9.) Cinder by Marissa Meyer
10.) Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
11.) Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
12.) If I Lie by Corrine Jackson

2012 YA Releases (Not Sequels)
1.) The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
2.) Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers
3.) A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger
4.) Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupala
5.) The Diviners by Libba Bray
6.) Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
7.) Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
8.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Sequels:
1.) Timepiece by Myra McEntire
2.) Crown of Embers by Rae Carson
3.) Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel

Pre-2012 YA Release:
1.) The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
2.) Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
3.) Legend by Marie Lu
4.) Julie Immortal by Stacey Jay
5.) How to Ruin... series by Simone Elkeles

Non-YA:
1.) The Ugly Duchess by Eloisa James (romance novel)
2.) A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean (romance novel)
3.) Splendid by Julia Quinn (romance novel/non-2012 release)
4.) Size 12 and Ready to Rock by Meg Cabot (adult novel)
5.) Thunder and Roses by Mary Jo Putney (romance novel/non-2012 release)
6.) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (memoir)

So...yeah...I read a lot of books. I also have more, mostly shorter lists, of books that I'll be talking about in the future. And I'll actually talk about them instead of just listing because I won't have as many books. Any books you agree with me on? Anything you didn't get to? Disagree with me on anything? Let me know!

--Julie

2 comments:

  1. So many books! There are a number that are on my to-read, and some I had written off but am starting to reconsider (like Throne of Glass - it's popped up in a number of people's favorites of the year lists, when initially I'd heard not great things).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throne of Glass almost made my part of the list too. There are a lot of mixed reviews of it, but I enjoyed it.

      If you do decide to give it a chance, just go into it with a clean slate. Quite a few of the more negative reviews I've seen of it seemed to have made their mind up about the book before they even started, based purely on negative things other people have said, and if you go into a book deliberately looking for negatives then you'll find them.

      You might love it, you might hate it, just try not to pre-judge it. =]

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to Home Back to Top Bloggers Heart Books. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.